Rooster aging?

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
Our bestest boy ever has been with us for over two years now. Rocky is a massive black mystery roo that moved in after his flock was killed and has been the perfect roo. Gentle to the ladies, has never shown an ounce of aggression, cohabitates with other roos, keeps the evil bastardised roos from attacking us… He belonged to our neighbours and came with horrific scaly leg mites, his “feed” (they only give scratch), and they guess he’s about 5 years old. When he first moved in, the coop door blew shut and he tried to fly the fence back to his old home, but got his legs caught between the slats and hung by one leg for who knows how long. He couldn’t walk and they put him on coop rest before he flew out two weeks later, back to our ladies. So he’s had a rough life! He’s been fine until this week when I noticed he was limping a bit, then staying in the coop (rainy weather) all day. Yesterday and today, he’s hidden in the playhouse and under a large bush, but made it back to the coop at night. No signs of fowl pox, pecking, respiratory issues, or darkening comb. I checked his feet for bumbles (clear) and the whole flock had it's fall lice treatment of ivermectin pour on.

What is the general life expectancy for roosters? Is he just getting old?

Pic from his glory days
6882CF17-C1FA-4C46-927D-BD3C53121B91.jpeg

What is the general life expectancy for roosters?
There really isn't one....but 7 is pretty old for a chicken.

Is he just getting old?
Sounds like it. A bird that acts like that is definitely ailing somehow.
Can't always know exactly what until they die and you do a necropsy, and maybe not even then.

My first rooster, Duke, also began deteriorating after he turned 7. He got a bit stiff and cranky. Worse, after years of being absolutely wonderful with my broody hens and their chicks, he began harassing and attacking one of my broody hens. My best guess is that he was starting to go senile, and maybe the aches and pains of old age was throwing off his judgement. It was impossible to know. Very sadly we had to put him down.

He passed away in the night 😭 I’m debating hatching out some of his babies, but I really want to be done with chicks right now. Possibly under my perpetually broody silkie lol. We haven’t had very good luck with his fertility though, only ever hatched two chicks from him. A roo that we sold and a pullet that died at a year old after unexplained wasting. I just want to keep the temperament going

Back
Top Bottom