Age of rooster *with pictures

ColonelMustard

Chirping
Aug 2, 2023
Hi! I recently acquired a rooster when he wandered onto my property on a 120° day. He’s been great and I’m going to get him some hens very soon.

Is there any way to tell how old the fella is?
I’m thinking he’s pretty young since his legs are so skinny and spur is small but I have no prior chicken experience, so a second opinion would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_5782.jpeg
    IMG_5782.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5787.jpeg
    IMG_5787.jpeg
    878 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5784.jpeg
    IMG_5784.jpeg
    827.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi! I recently acquired a rooster when he wandered onto my property on a 120° day. He’s been great and I’m going to get him some hens very soon.

Is there any way to tell how old the fella is?
I’m thinking he’s pretty young since his legs are so skinny and spur is small but I have no prior chicken experience, so a second opinion would be great!
A couple pictures (full body, saddle feathers, comb/wattles, spurs) would be helpful.

Do examine him well for parasites.

Contact your county extension for poultry clubs or 4-H groups. Often times, people are looking to reduce their flocks this time of year. Check at the feed store, people there often know people with chickens.

Get him a couple of mature ladies and you will be off to a wonderful hobby. I also think he is pretty young - probably someone who could not have him, dumped him.

Mrs K

Love his colors, that is a good start to a flock.
we have 2 Polish roosters, and a hen. Ours are very skittish, I think the Afro blocks part of their vision, so they get jumpy at sudden movements .
E7FD9E4A-CF4C-4E54-9A2D-DC84C7E3298F.jpeg

F5DD403F-1BA9-4C2B-86C3-6F0F0A644D57.jpeg

We call the hen Road Runner since she has never been caught by any of our roosters, that we know of. And she flew across the pasture and across the road to escape a hawk.

Back
Top Bottom