Gimpy rooster

Jennydoodledoo

Hatching
May 14, 2018
Arkansas
Hi everyone. I'm new to the group, so I apologize if I post or put something where it shouldn't be. I've had chickens forever, but I'm green to all of this forum to say the least. I live in the middle of a 500 acre farm in the ozarks. We have about 35 hens and 4 roosters, which all free range. We never lock them up ( though they do have a 40'x 20' covered pen for times when coyotes or eagles and hawks get thick). We have aussie dogs that keep guard over the flock at all times. My one eyed rooster "Junior" is in bad shape. The one eye happened from a fight w another rooster maybe a year ago, and he survived just fine with his cloudy "bad eye". But about a week ago I came home to find him limping and only putting weight on one leg. Next morning he stayed on the roost w a cpl of the older girls. I fed and watered him there, but eventually moved him to our cool garage on a pet bed for some quiet time for a few days. He wouldn't move off the bed at all during that time. I finally brought him back out to our shop w the dogs for company. He will use his wings for balance to hop to a quiet corner, but shows no other signs of trying to get up. I've checked for bumblefoot, leg breaks, and tried to stretch his bad leg out carefully and slowly, which seems to cause him a lot of pain. I don't know what else to do. Also, his poop is very lime green here lately. Not sure if this is internal or just from him only getting chops and water for last week. Anyway, I'm really hoping someone can offer any advice on maybe a slipped tendon or something. If theyd even see him, I'd get laughed out of the vets office bringing in a one eyed gimpy rooster. We live in chicken country...they'd prob just tell me to put him in a pot! Sorry it was so long winded, but any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
You could try putting him in a chicken sling for several hours at a time, in front of food and water. That would get him upright and having food and water close, he might start taking more to get stronger. It would also rest his leg and keep him cleaner. Even though they might laugh at you, you could ask for an xray of his leg to look for a fracture. Upper leg fractures and hip injuries are less likely to heal in roosters. Sprains and broken bones can take several weeks to heal. I would crush a vitamin B complex tablet into his food or water daily.

Back
Top Bottom