Girls have stopped laying

Riggsragg

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2017
I have 5 two-year-Old chickens, various breeds, who were laying everyday up until this past April, then slowly less and less eggs and now none at all. They get plenty of water, oyster shells, supplements, layer pellets, a few dried worms a day, a clean coop and run, they have a light on timer to balance sunlight for 12 hours, shade for warm days and even a fan when it goes over 90. My husband says we will be eating them if they aren’t laying by winter - help! PS we have been through moulting so not that

Are they free range? Any chance of hidden nests? if their nests have mites, that could be a reason to abandon them. And what is your location? Are you in the northern hemisphere?

Most will stop laying to molt this time of year. Unless they are strictly confined to a shed where they can't get outside light you running lights this time of year will do nothing. Most birds over a year will quit laying and will not resume until after December. You cannot keep them laying forever.

The more eggs upfront, the less eggs you'll get long-term. Also, with providing artificial light to prolong their first molt, it sounds like your girls need a good rest.
How is the color in their legs and face? They should start regaining some of that lost color when they're ready to get back to it - but they'll be taking it at a slower pace than before.
With high production breeds, they lay 'most' of their eggs right out of the gate and are ready to retire by year 2-3 as there is a finite number of eggs in their ovary and most have already been laid in those first few years.
If eggs are your concern, it's time to start succession planning.
Many older heritage breeds are better 'slow' 'steady' layers and will give you less eggs regularly in exchange for more productive years.

I have 5 two-year-Old chickens, various breeds, who were laying everyday up until this past April, then slowly less and less eggs and now none at all. They get plenty of water, oyster shells, supplements, layer pellets, a few dried worms a day, a clean coop and run, they have a light on timer to balance sunlight for 12 hours, shade for warm days and even a fan when it goes over 90. My husband says we will be eating them if they aren’t laying by winter - help! PS we have been through moulting so not that
How old are they in months?
What kind of 'supplements' are you giving?

And most important @Riggsragg
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-17_9-28-53.png

Back
Top Bottom