Girls only.....no boys...yet!

The black and white ones are silver laced Wyandottes. They are both showing saddle feathers and blotchy coloration over their shoulders of roos. With how developed the combs and saddle feathers, I would guess they are more like 3-4 months old.

The red ones are production reds (sometimes sold by hatcheries as Rhode Island reds) and if they are 2 months old then I would have to say roos but that is based solely on comb development. I'm not seeing any intense red coming in over the shoulders nor am I seeing pointy saddle and hackle feathers that would indicate they are cockerels. Based on the fact that I think they look to be more along the lines of 3-4 month old birds, I would lean towards pullets on those two. Check the feathers right in front of the tail to see if they are coming in pointy. You might have to part the juvenile feathers and look for feathers just starting to come in. They would be very shiny (almost wet looking), slender, and pointed. If they have those, then they are boys.

Yep, the black and white ones are Silver Laced Wyandottes. However, they have a blue sheen... I'm new, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if that is a characteristic of roosters? Mine does not have that...

I talked to the original owner of the chicks and he says they are all 4.5 mos old. Does that change your opinion of them being girls or boys? He also said they were Silver Penciled Black Wyandottes?

I'm still hoping for all girls!

Nope. Those Silver Penciled are roos. I put two in my freezer that looked just like that. Cannot help with the red birds because I have never had any like those, but their legs look very thick and combine that with the larger waddles and combs for their age I would guess they are roos too.

Oh my! If they are all boys, I guess I'll have to get rid of them and start over. That's a bummer!
tongue.gif
hit.gif

I'm really kind of depressed now. When will they start crowing?

Don't panic - well, not completely. The reds both look like girls. And my guess would have been between 4-5 months so the new guesstimate on age sounds right about on track. Unfortunately, I agree with the others that the Wyandottes are roos. Sorry - not the news you were looking for, I know.

ETA: The girls look like they will be laying for you before too long
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry - just now saw this question. Crowing varies a great deal but in my own experience, all of my roos have crowed around 16-17 weeks. My guess is, based on their age, it will be any day now.

Thanks for all your help with the identification! My husband said absolutely no roos so I can keep them until they start crowing and then...I'm not sure after that. Ill try and give them away first.

If the other 2 are girls, I can't wait for them to start laying eggs!
big_smile.png
I'll have to get them some friends as my husband is working on a bigger run for them.

Quote:
Is the blue sheen because they are supposed to be Silver Penciled Black Wyandottes? Or a characteristic of a roo? Any thoughts?

Your two RIR look like mine do and mine should be laying sometime next month. I am not sure on the age of mine but I would say yours should be laying before mine do for there combs are redder.
And don't give up all hope yet they still could all be pullets. I have 4 BR roos that just hit 12 weeks and are just not trying to crow, but they are either going to freezer camp or the auctions this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom