Give me your best (whole) chicken recipe

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
Okay well as much as I would like to I just can not bring myself to butcher my own chickens. So I still buy mine at the store. This week our grocery store has whole chickens on sale for $.59 a pound. I am going to stock up on these. So Im looking for some recipes that use whole chickens. Its just me and hubby, but DH can almost finish off the bird my himself. So there are normally no leftovers. I dont know where his skinny butt puts it all.
roll.png

What are some dinners that you fix using chicken and the sides that go with them?

Two things I do that are easy and quick since I work full time are:

Puncture a whole lemon with a fork multiple times - squeeze some of the juice over the outside of the chicken and then place the entire lemon inside the chicken's cavity, sprinkle chicken with a coating of lemon pepper.

Put in crockpot on low and leave all day til dinner. Serve with asparagus or broccoli and summer squash with onions baked in foil. (or at least that's what I like to serve it with)

another quicky is to wash the chicken, put it in the crockpot and dump an entire bottle of barbeque sauce over it. Cook all day on low.

In a small bowl I make this concoction.....

Chopped Lemon Rind
Course Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
Chopped Rosemary
Olive Oil

Rub down the bird with olive oil and the juice of the lemon. Take the mixture above and rub into the entire chicken inside and out with your hands.

Put what is left of the lemon inside the cavity. (Got that trick from Emeril) He says it infused the chicken with the lemon flavor. Also throw a stalk of rosemary in the cavity if you have it.

Bake in the oven with tin foil but take the foil off the last 10 minutes or so to brown the top. I even do this to turkey sometimes too.

I have the NuWave oven that works great for whole chickens. We use the Lemon Pepper. Curry or some type of Poultry Seasoning. Ready in less then an one hour fresh, 1 1/2 hr. frozen (give or take)

I'm definitely going to try the lemon inside with lemon pepper. Sounds yummy.

I love the lemon chicken. I use it all the time, but mostly with chicken breasts. I use fresh lemons and fresh ground pepper and bake. DH turned his nose up at first, but when he tasted it, he loved it. Now he'll even ask when the next time we're having it. I love BBQ so I will use that one as well. Maybe even make shredded sandwiches with that one.

Ouuh Biddie that sounds great! I might try that one tomorrow night. I love cooking with my fresh rosemary. Ive used one where I use rosemary and sliced onions. Comes out tasting great.

If you are a chicken breast lover, gently separate the breast skin, then push some chunks of butter up under it, along with S&P and herbs of choice, or just butter mashed with your favorite seasoning salt or seasoning mix. Stick a couple of celery stalks, and an onion chunked up into a few pieces, maybe lemon rind or garlic cloves if you like, in the cavity, along with an herb or two if you wish. Roast, tented with foil, then take the tent off for browning when nearly done.

You might want to look up the 30 Cloves of garlic chicken receipe. It is real easy and you can use many type of other herbs with it. I like the thyme and lemon with the 30 cloves. The are whole cloves not chopped.

Rosemary Chicken
Give that chicken a rub-down with canola or olive oil. Seperate the skin and rub some underneath. Cut fresh rosemary leaves and slip them under the skin and salt/pepper the top.

Bake at 300. When the chicken has that glorious sun-tan, cover with foil tightly and cook slowly (time depending upon chicken size) or slip into the crock pot to slow cook.

When the leg will break easily away from the body, you're done.

Slow cooked chicken is the best.

I usually rinse and pat dry a whole chicken and sit it in my roasting pan.

I stab holes all throughout the chicken.

Run my hands between the skin and meat and stuff with the olive oil mixture.

Then drizzle olive oil on top with a little more of the mixture and some salt n pepper.

I sometimes like to cut up a lemon and orange and stuff the cavity of the chicken as well.

I will cut up potatoes, carrots, and onions and spread around the chicken in the roasting pan.

Bake until golden brown. You can drizzle a little honey over the chicken after it is done too and that is great!!

Olive Oil Mixture:
Olive Oil
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Lemon Thyme, juice, or grated rind
Dash of salt N pepper

I occasionally use fresh garlic in this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom