Give your opinion: Garlic or no Garlic?

Garlic:

• YES

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
I assume that garlic is good for ducks in the same way as it is beneficial for us humans. It is a mild natural antibiotic, lowers blood sugar and contains a ton of antioxidants. I gave Limpy duck one garlic capsule per day while he was really miserable.
However, it seems that there are ducks that, like some humans, cannot stand the smell. My duckies reject even mealworms with garlic!
And yes, fresh garlic keeps away those pesky vampires. ;)

I assume that garlic is good for ducks in the same way as it is beneficial for us humans. It is a mild natural antibiotic, lowers blood sugar and contains a ton of antioxidants. I gave Limpy duck one garlic capsule per day while he was really miserable.
However, it seems that there are ducks that, like some humans, cannot stand the smell. My duckies reject even mealworms with garlic!
And yes, fresh garlic keeps away those pesky vampires. ;)
You you what assume means, lol. ;)

Margaret A. Wissman, D.V.M., D.A.B.V.P. wrote this regarding onions, leeks, garlic, and chives:

"Allicin, which gives garlic its odor, is also a strong oxidant. In rare cases, this chemical can be dangerous and can cause Heinz body hemolytic anemia, as well."

"Although I have not seen any scientific studies performed on any avian species, there is the chance that disulfides could also cause this Heinz body hemolytic anemia in birds. For that reason, I feel that is unnecessary and potentially dangerous to feed onions, leeks, garlic or chives, as they don't contain any nutrients that are vital for the health of our pet bird. Why take the risk?"

Source:
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/onions.html

Garlic for what? I blend it with the veggie bowls I make my hens, along with cayenne and other herbs. I just consider it an occasional tonic and possible immune booster...a healthy treat. But not a treatment for anything.

Back
Top Bottom