Given birth to 4 healthy sons but incubating eggs....yikes!!

T- did you get your lockdown info? Up humidity--I bought new clean sponges; wet them with warm water and set on edge to expose as much area as possible. Also, filled baby food jars (yes, I still have them) and put rolls of paper towels in (ripped in half and a sturdy type that says upright when wet; most fall over when wet and that is useless).
Will you check the aircells for size before lockdown?

Chicks often hatch early.

I put as much research into hatching as I did before embarking on having my own kids ( I was an older mom with age working against me) Only then I had to go to the library for info and now I can just go to BYC!!!

I just read up on the dry hatching stuff, I honestly don't remember if that's the correct final temp though. I just set them this afternoon so I'm not at that point yet, sorry if I misremembered!

Quote:
Works for me! I'm an English teacher and we refer to that as poetic license! Can't wait until my Japanese bantam lays. I may need you to make up an even tinier word to describe them!

Totally understand the extensive research! For me it was being an English major. I want to do something, I go out and research it whether its having a baby or raising chickens!! I am such a dork!

J-
Oh my goodness! We can be dorks together!!! My second Bachelor's Degree is in Elementary Education and my Master's Degree is in School Administration with Principal Certification K-12.
big_smile.png

I think we were separated at birth!

Tee-
I guess I am to follow those instructions on the super wet sponges? Today is Day 18...yikes!!

How do I handle the lockdown with the other group of eggs that are not ready to be in lockdown????

Texas - maybe there is a secret dork family we were sent from??? you are much braver than me being an administrator! I have recently decided that's a job I never want!! I wish I could answer your question about eggs at different stages in the same incubator, it's one I still have myself! Hopefully this bump will attract knowledgable attention! I use the sponges too. Boosts the humidity nicely. Of course my bator is homemade so my sponges are in half a pencil box! If the sponges don't work, you can get a fast and steady boost from a container of hot water added. Jumped mine 20% in five min!

Good luck!! Soon you'll have these
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
How stagger is your hatch. Most have a separate bator for hatching. If not then they will go into lockdown also just early it may cause your second set to not hatch but dont listen to closely to me I never do staggered hatches because of that reason.
Michele

Texastinsel, you wrote
How do I handle the lockdown with the other group of eggs that are not ready to be in lockdown????

I do go in during lockdown, and gave a rroll to just the eggs that were to hatch later. Put them where i could get in with a hand and quickly roll them. Because I do turkeys, my %rh is very high at 90 and the temp is reduced to 97 degrees. THe eggs put in late, also incubated one day longer before hatching. Very stressful. Made my homemade after that:eek:ne hatcher one incubator.

I work as a substitute teacher for the preshcool -first graders! ANd have a BS in ANimal and Vet Sciences! I love that there is always something more to learn--eggs and hatching and chicken math! LOL​

Back
Top Bottom