Giving Away Rhode Island Red hen - 2 weeks old

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacchicken931

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sacramento
I bought 3 baby chicks from Lee's Feed and Seed in Shingle Springs on Saturday. One is a Gold sex pullet, another is an araucana and one is a Rhode Island Red. After reading that the Rhode Island Reds can sometimes be aggressive I don't want this one.

It is disease free and very healthy. I only spent $3 on it so I'm not looking for reimbursement. I am looking for someone who can provide her a nice home or coop. Preferably someone who's experienced with raising chickens humanely and not in a feed lot type environment. I want to have Araucana's and Gold Sex Pullets only for now. The bird is only 2.5 weeks old.

You would need to be able to pick up in Sacramento.

Personal info removed, PM the OP, please.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be too quick to get rid of her just because of hearing that. I've had a lot of RIR's and they have all been the sweetest, friendliest birds. I can pick them up and carry them around. Even the RIR roo I have now is a sweet bird. If you want a breed specific flock then that's a different story I guess but I wouldn't send her packing because of hearing that.

Welcome to BYC. I have several RIRs, both hatchery and breeder stock. None are aggressive, not one. Great girls.

BTW, I removed your phone number for safety reasons.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have three RIRs and have had absolutely no problem with them. The Barred Rocks give everyone else trouble, but not the RIRs. Oh, yea, and the GLWs - one of them is positively nasty to the other birds - but never to humans.

welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the fun of chickeneering!

I don't know where you got your info about Rhode Island Reds, but perhaps you could give this pullet a chance before giving her up. Although there are tendencies towards certain temperments among the breeds, "individual results may vary." And kept with only 2 others, this RIR might not have much provocation to be aggressive.

Also, having 3 chicks/hens together will be more practical *IF* (and let's pray not!) something happens to one of the birds, you'll still have 2 to keep each other company.

Look through the Where am I/where are you? section of the forum, maybe there are other BYCers in your area to help you get off to a great start!
jumpy.gif
I'll be good!
jumpy.gif
Me too!
jumpy.gif
Keep me!

Wow, I didn't expect all of these comments to tell me the same thing; keep the RIR. (We named her Anna). In fact I had just gone over to buy 2 more araucana's thinking I would be giving away the RIR. Now that I've read these comments, I don't want to give her away. So now I have 5 chicks! I guess I'll be giving extra eggs to family and friends.

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate them.

Eddie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom