Giving chicks to a non-broody?

Whitey_87

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
I checked a few pages in and did not find any topics like this.

I have 6 RIR hens about 1yr old. The one that I believe is at the bottom of the pecking order (90% sure) is the sweetest one of all of them. Very calm and docile, doesn't make much noise, doesn't run around, and usually does not travel with the flock when I let them out to range, and when I sit in a chair to watch them she will jump into my lap to take a nap.

I plan to get 12 new chicks from Ideal (6 BR and 6 BO). I am wondering if anyone can offer any experience in introducing chicks to a non-broody? I have a hard time even imagining that she would be mean to them. Here are my thoughts.

1) Simply allow her to spend time with them as soon as they arrive, maybe even use a large dog crate as the brooder and put her in there with them.
2) Use the same dog crate but put the hen in first with some eggs, a nest box, and no perch for a week or so (try to get her to at least sleep on the eggs). This might trick her into going broody and then the night after they arrive, remove the eggs and put the chicks under her.
3) Same as #2 but forget the eggs and just put them under her at night.

Any options anyone else has tried? Similar situation?

Thanks,
Whitey

Last edited:
Please don't try it. Even the sweetest hens have a tendency to peck at and kill chicks. A brooder is easy to make and generally quite a bit safer for the babies.
smile.png

Don't do it. Regardless how "gentle" the hen appears, she will likely kill the chicks. Chickens are very flock oriented and will fight/kill outsiders. You need to let the chicks grow up, and when they are about the same size (14 weeks or so) put them together at night. (preferably with some time of being able to see each other but not peck for a while first) Make sure the young ones have a place to escape the hens. If you can section off an area of the coop to grow them out, that would work also.

I grow mine out in a coop where they can see each other, but separated from harm. They get used to each other which minimizes the abuse when I add them to the flock.

Even if she's not mean to them it's very unlikely that your low girl in the pecking order would defend them from others or even teach them about food/water or keep them warm.

If you want more chicks you're going to have to brood them yourself or possibly buy a bird that is known to go broody and wait until she settles in at your place and get the urge.

Thanks for the replies. I have no problem making a brooder and keeping them separated. I was just thinking about getting the bottom hen some friends.

Quote:
In all honesty, your bottom hen may not get buddies. My RIR hen was the lowest on the pecking order, and I thought the welsummers I added would give her a buddy. My RIR hen was the meanest of all the hens as far as bullying the new welsummers. I guess she figured she got picked on a lot, now it was her turn to give out the abuse. So now, she still is still alone as the welsummers want nothing to do with her. (except my rooster)

ive been wondering the same thing, but from what i have been told i will probably not would not be a good idea. even if the hen doesn't attack them she will just ignore them and not keep them warm and go up to roost at night and leave them shivering on the ground. if you were to try it, it would be best to use a silkie or cochin instead or rir who rarely goes broody.

Back
Top Bottom