Giving eggs away to virtual strangers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henriettamom919, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    My blinker went out earlier this week and the Hubb's and I got to chatting with the clerk helping us. My chicken enthusiast came out and he was truly interested. He asked if we had any eggs to spare and not only do we but will be drowning in them come late summer when the littles turn into layers!

I offered to drop off half a dozen and he said he'd be truly grateful and would pay for them. I told him to try them first and if it became a regular thing we could talk about paying something (I don't feel comfortable charging something I intended as a gift.)

My concern is liability. I've seen talk on here about concern of legal liability given many of us aren't running certified businesses. Is there some kind of friendly note I could attach? Like "While these eggs come from healthy chickens and have been washed, please take proper cleaning, cooking and storage precautions before consumption."

Cyprus and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    I would say you have your answer. Attach that note.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Get them to sign a waiver. Also make them agree not to feed the eggs to minors, since they can't waive liability, here in Utah at least.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Start by checking your local/ state Health Department regs, or the Ag Dept, where ever they are posted. It's about Washington state, and rules will vary.
    Most places allow egg gifts or sales on a very small scale, as most of us do, with no issues. There may be a recommended label format, and then use that.
    Again, most places allow this without problems.
    Mary

5. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    A warning on the packaging would also probably work, but you need to make it very clear that they are consuming the eggs at their own risk.

6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    So I'll check my local laws and just attach a cheery toned note about how as with any fresh food, proper cleaning, storage and cooking is recommended and consumption is at risk of the consumer!

Thanks y'all! I've seen some pretty dire warnings on here but figured on balance most people give eggs out *without* a subsequent lawsuit :gig

CarpCharacin likes this.
  7. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    You know, I joke but then remember a woman *did* win millions of dollars because her hot coffee from McDonald's was actually...hot.

*busily drafts legal disclaimer*

Cyprus likes this.
  8. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    Such a hassle. That's why I give extra eggs back to the hens. They are always grateful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: