Giving some serious thoughts on breeds

Quote:
Okay, so the cuckoo marans are out. I'm looking for a dark egg layer. Sounds like a FBCM most likely.

In all seriousness, you have to be very very careful with that decision. Prepare to be a complete FBCM addict, once you see those eggs you will be hooked forever!!!

Good luck to you and let us know what you decide!

We are in PA and started out with EEs for the colored eggs. We are now moving rapidly to FBCM and Black & White Orps. Why? If we are going to hatch them and wait til they mature to tell the girls from the boys, there should be something there worth eating when we cull! The EEs are just too lightweight compared to the FBCM and Orps. So far the Orps we have are breeder stock and very sweet. The FBCMs are getting friendlier as they mature ,but ours are not as mellow as the Orps. Teenage chickens are as strange as their human counterparts. Our EEs are fairly mellow if they are handled early.

they'reHISchickens :

We are in PA and started out with EEs for the colored eggs. We are now moving rapidly to FBCM and Black & White Orps. Why? If we are going to hatch them and wait til they mature to tell the girls from the boys, there should be something there worth eating when we cull! The EEs are just too lightweight compared to the FBCM and Orps. So far the Orps we have are breeder stock and very sweet. The FBCMs are getting friendlier as they mature ,but ours are not as mellow as the Orps. Teenage chickens are as strange as their human counterparts. Our EEs are fairly mellow if they are handled early.

Will FBCM and Orps be big enough for meat? If so, then maybe I don't have to worry about BRs as much.​

Quote:
I recognize that maniacal laughter.
gig.gif
That's the sound of an enabler!!
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Okay, so the cuckoo marans are out. I'm looking for a dark egg layer. Sounds like a FBCM most likely.

In all seriousness, you have to be very very careful with that decision. Prepare to be a complete FBCM addict, once you see those eggs you will be hooked forever!!!

Good luck to you and let us know what you decide!

That is the truth! I bought 2 hens and 4 chicks.... wish I had gotten more! LOL! I will probably go back in January to get some from him again even though they are not my best layers.

Back
Top Bottom