GM Foods and what they are doing to us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Wal-mart is also one that I just cant stand and there are many other
somad.gif
CORPORATIONS
somad.gif
that fall in the same category

I guess the bigger ones get talked about more

Has anyone had the opportunity to watch the DVD The Corporation?
Future of Food was also mentioned on here

Quote:
1) Monsanto has sued farmers for using their products with out paying. My statement was they have SUED no one for cross pollination, that is a true statement. Again, farmers want to use RR technology with out paying for it, how is that not stealing? Would you be OK, if anyone came and borrowed your car and never paid or returned it? If they did pay, it was what they wanted to pay, you have no say so.

2) You disagree that the world is facing a food shortage? You believe that non-GMO's outyield GMO's? How many plots have you put out where they are side by sides? Same environment, just the hybrids change. If you believe that open pollinated corn will yield w/hybrid seed, we need to no longer discuss anything.

3) GMO's are controversial in some circles, in those that actually work in Ag, there is very little left to discuss.

4) As far as someone getting a "video" showing how bad glysophates are, that is a joke on line w/space aliens. Want to farm w/o chemicals, go ahead. Want farmers to not use chemicals, pay more for your food (in real terms, expect $12 corn, etc).

I don't like where Ag is headed, but the rest of you need to talk to people involved in real ag to understand our frustrations with uninformed people who are well intentioned.

Quote:
1) The french idea of Ag is 1860 farming. I've been there, visited with french farmers (2X). The french can't and don't grow enough food to feed their own country. Is that what you want for USA?

2) In working with glysophates for 8+ years, I can tell you this. Crops following glysophate being used the year before are substantially higher yielding. Earth worm populations are considerably higher. Want an example? Wheat--following RR beans will outyield wheat following conventional beans by 20-50bu/acre.

3) Do you know that the french government pushes another chemical "Liberty" instead of glysophates. Liberty is expensive to make whereas glysophates are very cheap to make. Think there might be a slight bit of self interest going on here w/french? Liberty is a competitor to glysophates. Liberty products are also GMO's.

Quote:
Please explain this concern to me.

Glysophates work different than "traditional" chemicals. Glysophate is a general (non-discriminatory plant killer) where as the old chems we used were designed to kill certain weeds. Of course the weeds that the old chem didn't affect became a problem, thus you had to switch chems because the "old" chem no longer worked. The largest problem facing glysophates is not using enough or the timelyness to kill the plant and allowing it to reseed. There have been about 5 weeds to develope resistance to it.

The old chems had a half life, which meant we were getting buildup in the soil of them. Glysophates are broken down when sprayed on the plant. The glysophates that hit the soil are broken down immediatly by the microbes. Again, it is a chemical and needs to be treated as one.

Quote:
You can move out of the USA unless you are a minor and your folks won't let you. Get a job in Ag, learn the truth first hand and not from some video from another country. Get involved with our food supply. So you buy NO food from grocery and are self sufficient, great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Couldn't agree with that statement more!! My husband and I farm. Dealing with uninformed or misinformed people is very frustrating.....especially since they usually believe anything they read or are told as the gospel truth. Every special interest group can slant the "facts" anyway to suit their side of the argument. Yes, in a perfect world we'd be able to grow crops without the use of chemicals, but unfortunately that isn't how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom