Gnats killed my 3 month old miracle babies!

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

I GOT DUCCLES
Jan 17, 2022
Some of you may know me, but at the end of January I hatched some eggs from my favorite hen that passed. These eggs had been in the refrigerator for up to a week. Out of 4 eggs 2 hatched. Mind you these were the first four eggs that this pullet laid. I named them Nug Nug and Downy. They lived in my room for almost 2 months because it was cold outside. Finally they moved out. Tonight I went out to lock them up and collect eggs. Nug Nug was on her back covered in gnats and Downy was squished between the wall and feeder in the same condition. I am really sad. These are my babies! Special miracle babies. They did nit deserve to die at three months old. I assume the cause of death is suffocation from gnats. I am still crying. It just makes me sick. Rest in Peace Nug Nug and Downy. I love you forever and always!!! ❤
20220413_185647.jpg

I am so sorry about Nug Nug and Downy!

A few years ago, I lost a full-grown Iowa Blue hen to buffalo gnats. She was fine when I left home, and a few hours later, Lady Emma was gone.

Your babies were not only miracles, they were beautiful!

I lost a group of chicks about the same age as yours to buffalo gnats a few years back. When they first appeared in the area I live in. During the spring, before sunrise I mist all of my chickens with an vanilla solution. I keep my coops as dark as possible and hang vanilla scented car fresheners in all my coops. Not to mention splashing imitation vanilla on like cologne before I step outside. To keep myself from getting eaten up by them.

When we had the buffalo gnat invasion a few years ago, it was nearly impossible to find anything vanilla-scented in any of the stores. I bought all the spray cologne, air fresheners and real vanilla (pricey!) that I could get my hands on. It seemed to help; I only lost one hen, and I know folks who lost many more.

Some of you may know me, but at the end of January I hatched some eggs from my favorite hen that passed. These eggs had been in the refrigerator for up to a week. Out of 4 eggs 2 hatched. Mind you these were the first four eggs that this pullet laid. I named them Nug Nug and Downy. They lived in my room for almost 2 months because it was cold outside. Finally they moved out. Tonight I went out to lock them up and collect eggs. Nug Nug was on her back covered in gnats and Downy was squished between the wall and feeder in the same condition. I am really sad. These are my babies! Special miracle babies. They did nit deserve to die at three months old. I assume the cause of death is suffocation from gnats. I am still crying. It just makes me sick. Rest in Peace Nug Nug and Downy. I love you forever and always!!! ❤
View attachment 3073572So sorry for your loss. What pretty chickens they are.

I just want to update and say, I lost a broody hen after this. This time of what I think was blood loss. We sprayed permithrin soloution and hung vanilla air freshners. This seems to have got them under control. Thank you for all the kind words you have said. I made a hatch along for eggs I am hatching to replace the hen that died. If anyone wants to be tagged, please say so!

Back
Top Bottom