Go team "Tube Feeding!" - Updated 12/29/2019

Pics
I'm not sure that she is hypothermic or dehydrated. Maybe hypoglycemic. What do you think?
Almost all sick birds are dehydrated so I think it's safe to assume she is at least mildly dehydrated. Hypoglycemic, yeah, probably that too, but I really think the more serious problem is her hydration status.

@SarahGfa, did you try tubing last night?
Sort of. I didn't have the right supplies :(. I managed to get 30mm aquarium tubing, but could only find 60ml lur-lock syringes. And I couldn't find the Kaytee baby bird food at any feed store! Tried grinding up chick crumble, but it wouldn't go through the syringe. I didn't know what to do, so I bought some (human) baby formula.

I had to do the tubing by myself, but it was surprisingly easy to get the tube in. I wrapped her in a big tablecloth. She weighs 1.348 kg, so I was going to give her 40ml of baby formula, but it started coming back out her throat after only 20ml. I'm a little confused about that part. She started shaking her head, but I'm not sure if she was shaking her head because it was overflowing, or if shaking her head made the tube come out and overflow. Did I not put the tube in far enough? I think I got it in at least 4 inches. It doesn't make sense that she would be full at 20ml, right? She has not eaten in 2 days, but was drinking water all day. I felt her crop after, and there was a golfball-size lump.

I ordered the red catheters and syringes from the website you linked to, and also ordered the baby bird food from Amazon, but I have no idea when those things will arrive. I hope she makes it that long, and I hope I didn't do more harm than good!

(Should I try again? How long should I wait? and is there something i can use besides baby formula, that will fit through a lur-lock syringe?)

It needs to be inserted all the way into the crop. If not inserted all the way fluid will come back up. Also, when wrapped, you must be careful not to wrap the crop.
Shoot, good point! I was so worried about getting her securely wrapped up that I might have been putting pressure on her crop!

About how many inches is "all the way into the crop"? I sort of estimated 4", but it is hard to tell because she is hunched down with her neck pulled in.

Back
Top Bottom