Go team "Tube Feeding!" - Updated 12/29/2019

Pics
I need to ask a question please. I have a 7 mo old silkie with wry neck that I've been tube feeding 3 times a day. I've done so much research and reading, my head hurts. One thing I can't seem to find is: when you are tube feeding a bird do you need to syringe extra water to them, or is the water you mix their food in all they need for the day? How do I recognize if she is becoming dehydrated?

I wish I could of found this thread sooner, sure would have saved lots of time. Everything you would ever need to know about tubeing in one place. Wonderful !!!!!

Welcome to BYC!

Good question... How much does your silkie weigh and how much are you tubing?

-Kathy

I'm just guessing here, but I'd say around 1 or 2 pounds. I have an old kitchen scale out in the storage, I'll try to dig it out tomorrow and see if it works.

I've been feeding around 12 ml three times a day. Every 6 hours... I set up the alarm on my phone to go off. It's so easy to get busy and forget.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd say around 1 or 2 pounds. I have an old kitchen scale out in the storage, I'll try to dig it out tomorrow and see if it works.

I've been feeding around 12 ml three times a day. Every 6 hours... I set up the alarm on my phone to go off. It's so easy to get busy and forget.
Knowing the weight is important...

1 pound is 454 grams - 14 ml per feeding
2 pounds is 909 grams - 28 ml per feeding

Are you tubing Kaytee?

-Kathy

I hate to admit this, but I never measure. I syringe up 15ml water into a small cup. Then I mix in the food until it's not soupy, but still goes through the tube easily. Now I'm wondering if I'm slowly starving her. If I can't find my old scale I'll pick up a new one today.

I hate to admit this, but I never measure. I syringe up 15ml water into a small cup. Then I mix in the food until it's not soupy, but still goes through the tube easily. Now I'm wondering if I'm slowly starving her. If I can't find my old scale I'll pick up a new one today.

Not measuring is fine. So she's getting a total of 45 ml of water per day, which is enough if she weighs one pound unless she has diarrhea. What does her poop look like?

-Kathy

Yes, her poops are good. Only has loose after kale day.... She loves her kale.
I just weighed her and she's 1 lb. 12oz. So that means she needs more, right? More food and water?
Do you think you can get 24 ml into her 3 times a day? Or will the position of her head and neck make her more likely to aspirate?

-Kathy

I'm glad you answered so quickly. I was wracking my head to try to convert 40 grams into a form of volume... My brain just doesn't work that way I'm afraid. Even with Google I couldn't figure it out. LOL. Thank you so much for your help.
I don't know how much her crop will hold. I guess I'll just go up slowly, a couple of ml. at a time and watch her carefully.

Back
Top Bottom