Goat Folks- Pooch Test Pics! Guesses on pregnancy???

Quote:
I've seen it mentioned on here several times, and folks asking if we can tell preggers or not ...
I think there's some misinformation floating around about what happens when. the vulva puffs up just before kidding, so it can be useful to tell ready to kid - usually but not always within a few days - but it's not a way to detect early pregnancy. that's what I think folks are expecting when they say "pooch test" - it just doesn't work that way.

OP: good information here. also, if worming, make sure it's a wormer that's ok for pregnant does, in case she is. for checking for worms, we use the inside of the eyelid.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice!

So far, I have wormed her and her friend Eloise (the other goat we got with her who had super bad diarrhea), have both goats on Corrid since we had a fecal done, and Eloise had a heavy load of worms and coccidiosis. Vet said to treat both since they have been/are living together.
Also have them both on pro-bio's.

Have a mineral block out, will be getting loose minerals for them tomorrow. They are on high quality hay (feeder always full and fresh) and get a small ration of goat chow everyday. Ration is fairly small until the meds are done, then it will go up slowly to a regular size ration. Fresh water all day, everyday.

Will be trimming hooves in 2 or 3 days when Im done with giving meds and they are more settled. Dont wanna stress them any more just yet, lots of stuff going on in their world right now.

From what I have been reading, the 'pooch test' is not a way to determine if kidding is near, but a way to determine pregnancy fairly early in goats. I guess they are looking for a number of things, ie- the V that is just under the tail and above the anus starts to fill out a bit and isnt so deep, the lines that are running up and down along the sides of the vulva are less pronounced, the vulva itsself can elongate and change in appearance in a couple little ways. An open doe will not have any of these signs/changes.

At least, thats what Ive read (PhD in google ya know
wink.png
) but Im kinda new to goats and VERY new to looking at their rears so intently! Since I want to provide the best care I can in either scenario (preg or not), I am trying to educate myself as best I can. I know they need to be fed well, maybe better than usual, just to get them back or closer to normal.

I did think aout looking at Sophies' belly in the AM, before she gets up and starts eating and filling her rumen, and today I woke her up and saw that her left side was smaller than later in the day, and the right was only a tiny bit, if any, smaller.

What is the CD/ t shot, when do I give it, and if she kids, do I give it to the kids too?

Quote:
Thanks GFF- think Ive seen ya around Backyardherds recently
smile.png
I posted this subject there too.

LOVE your siggy line about the blood donor- Amen!

CDT is a yearly vaccination that goats need. It is for Clostridium Perfringens type c and d and for tetanus. It is very important and can save you from heartache too!!! I vaccinate the does 30 days before kidding and it gives the kids immunity from the mom. Since you don't know about the does it will not hurt to go ahead and vaccinate them. Then there are a lot of different opinions as to when to give it to the kids....I have had good luck giving iit to them at weaning time since they have the immunity from mom having been vaccinated. /Then you give them one more dose 21-28 days later and they are good. Then if you don't breed the does you will need to give them one dose yearly. The dose is always the same for adults or kids 2ml subcutaneous. Sometimes it forms a little knot under skin just depends what brand vaccine you get. Sounds like you are doing really good!!! Nothing beats the vet fecals and it is great you found the coccidiosis......that can kill a kid super quick.....diarrhea is always a good first clue of it. Good job!!!!!!
tongue.png

hmm... interesting info on the pooch test - I'll just say that with 5 years in goats, and 20 in sheep, I don't typically see any identifyable vulva changes until getting ready to kid. I'll take note of the details you noted and pay special attention this next year, but based on my current experience I'd have to say there's nothing under-tail observable and consistent that would tell you about early pregnancy. maybe this next year will change my mind on that
wink.png

there are changes that have to do with body condition and overall weight - typically the area under the tail sinks in if they're under weight, and may protrude slightly if they're fat, or in the last month or so of pregnancy. wrinkes occur in underweight when the area is less filled out and more sunken in, and disappear when they're fatter. the other thing that affects this appearance is age - aged ewes are typically sunken in more when at the same body condition as a younger ewe. a very aged ewe may be quite sunken in until they lamb, even if in good weight.

young animals have tighter abs and typically hold the babies higher and more internal than older ones, so by their 3rd or 4th pregnancy it's much easeir to see the kids early.

Quote:
Hmmm, well, I just dont know then. I have no idea if the pooch test works with sheep, since I dont have any, Ive not thought to look up the info.

If you want, you can go to Back Yard Herds (or just google search) and search the words Pooch Test, and youll see a bunch of pictures and people giving opinions and telling exactly what they are looking for. Fias Co farms has a huge nice website with just TONS of info and a few really good links. There is one link that takes you to a site where a guy doing the test performed so well that the teaching vet he accompanied taught his students to pooch test before ultrasounding. I guess the guy was 100% right using the method at 3 weeks after settling/conception or more. (this was only with goats though.

Buuuuuut, like they say....I cant always believe it just because I read it on the internet!
wink.png

Quote:
So Im going to say no she isnt. Her vulva would be a different shape, they kind of grown when they are PG. Her stomach is supose to be large and if she was just feed. Ive raised Dairy goats for over 10 years which isnt what you have but nope...

Make sure you worm them both.

I'd say she is PG just because she was with a buck for over 21 days, and the pygmy buck just really takes care of business.

This one is due soon, her bag is made but not hard and her tail bone area is sloping and sunkin. I'll say with in the week.

12748_farm_pic_1612_025.jpg

12748_farm_pic_1612_022a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom