Do you have goats?

• Total voters
Pics
I’m a goat newbie, but one of our does gave birth to our first ever kids around 1:20 this afternoon. The first kid was some type of breach I believe since only the head began to come out and there were no feet in sight. I watched over camera as we drove home quickly and I jumped out of the car and ran into the barn in church clothes, gloved up and gently slid my hands inside to try to pull those feet forward. She was pushing so hard and I’m a newbie so when I stepped back for a break for a moment, I was shocked when she laid down and just pushed him out all the same. But I was so happy as well. A little sister followed just after. They are now dry and fluffy and suckling happily with mama. I’m very happy that Ruby is such a good mom, we were concerned since where she was before she was never able to keep her babies or nurse them. But her instinct kicked in and she’s a great mama to her beautiful little girl and boy.

Attachments

• F2CFB32F-3AD8-4E33-888D-49092E3B50B4.jpeg
    F2CFB32F-3AD8-4E33-888D-49092E3B50B4.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 13C46E61-D3FC-4393-BFE9-7F14DD029E44.jpeg
    13C46E61-D3FC-4393-BFE9-7F14DD029E44.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 42607B31-7EED-4978-8E32-0935107E6A37.jpeg
    42607B31-7EED-4978-8E32-0935107E6A37.jpeg
    697.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 7DA7544D-B380-4DD9-8CEF-7405ACDDA0CD.jpeg
    7DA7544D-B380-4DD9-8CEF-7405ACDDA0CD.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 2
If I wash her when it gets warmer do u think it might go away?
I don’t know if that would work but my guess is no for an infection if that is what this is. I think a vet is needed. I’m sorry. I know that not everyone has easy access to large animal vets and it can be very expensive. I am lucky to be near a vet college with a large animal teaching hospital.

Does anyone know what causes this? I read that it could be a mineral deficiency, if it is what mineral? She’s the only goat with it.
View attachment 3443962
Naturally I'd suggest a vet visit... It looks like a skin infection. If it were my goat and the vet was not an option, I'd probably wash it really well with an anti-fungal shampoo. Be sure to get all the scabbing off. (Note- that's the same thing you do with rain rot which is also a fungal skin infection.) Then I'd continue to spray it daily with a fungal spray or Vetricyn. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, you can buy the Amber colored antiseptic Listerine and dilute it with water. It works well too.

Does anyone know what causes this? I read that it could be a mineral deficiency, if it is what mineral? She’s the only goat with it.
View attachment 3443962
The scabby area makes me think mites - which from what I’ve read can eventually turn into mange. She could just be more susceptible than the rest of the herd.
You’d have to ask your vet, but usually treatment would be some kind of injectable or pour-on dewormer, I would also make sure she’s getting a good quality mineral mix as well.

I’m a goat newbie, but one of our does gave birth to our first ever kids around 1:20 this afternoon. The first kid was some type of breach I believe since only the head began to come out and there were no feet in sight. I watched over camera as we drove home quickly and I jumped out of the car and ran into the barn in church clothes, gloved up and gently slid my hands inside to try to pull those feet forward. She was pushing so hard and I’m a newbie so when I stepped back for a break for a moment, I was shocked when she laid down and just pushed him out all the same. But I was so happy as well. A little sister followed just after. They are now dry and fluffy and suckling happily with mama. I’m very happy that Ruby is such a good mom, we were concerned since where she was before she was never able to keep her babies or nurse them. But her instinct kicked in and she’s a great mama to her beautiful little girl and boy.
Awww, so cute! 🥰 Glad everything worked out for you!

Naturally I'd suggest a vet visit... It looks like a skin infection. If it were my goat and the vet was not an option, I'd probably wash it really well with an anti-fungal shampoo. Be sure to get all the scabbing off. (Note- that's the same thing you do with rain rot which is also a fungal skin infection.) Then I'd continue to spray it daily with a fungal spray or Vetricyn. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, you can buy the Amber colored antiseptic Listerine and dilute it with water. It works well too.
The scabby area makes me think mites - which from what I’ve read can eventually turn into mange. She could just be more susceptible than the rest of the herd.
You’d have to ask your vet, but usually treatment would be some kind of injectable or pour-on dewormer, I would also make sure she’s getting a good quality mineral mix as well.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom