goats

missnatalie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
I am thing of getting goats and would like some advice. I just want a pet, female (2) small . would the pigmy goat or the Nigerian dwarf. I don't want a show quality one.

If it was me and this is just my opinion id get 2 wethers. Females go in heat and are annoying. Since wethers are castrated no smell no muss. The perfect goat. I have a nigerian and he is wonderful. Have had does and a buck and I ll never do that again. I don't have experiance with pygmy goats just saanen, nubians and nigerian.

I have two Nigerian Dwarf wethers. I would recommend getting wethers like the person above ^^^ because they are much easier and they are not such a hassle. Good luck with your goats!!!

Nigerian Dwarf Goats!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thing of getting goats and would like some advice. I just want a pet, female (2) small . would the pigmy goat or the Nigerian dwarf. I don't want a show quality one.

Weeeellll... I would definitely, absolutely, positively say that Nigerian Dwarf goats are the way to go; was that biased, you ask? No, not at all.
wink.png
Just kidding. It's totally up to you what you want. You say you want them for pets right now. Well, maybe in the future you might start thinking about what each goat is good at doing. Say you want a milker. (Correct me if I'm wrong here folks) Pygmies won't be good milkers like a Nigerian Dwarf would be, so in this case, you'd want a ND for milk. Now, I'm not sure the full benefits of a pygmy, I just know about NDs.

My advice would be to do your research on the feeding and nutrition of goats. It is extremely important that you know what minerals they need and what/ if your area is deficient in minerals such as copper, selenium, calcium, and magnesium and you need to know the percentage of the minerals in your area. You need to know what hay to give them (whatever you get, green is important, not yellow because yellow hay hasn't got nutrition in it. It will deplete the minerals and vitamins that your goats have in their system).

Make sure you've got an adequate shelter for them; it is not good for goats to be in the rain or constant wind ( I hope that made sense; of course, a breeze is fine
smile.png
tongue.png
). Do you have hoof trimming tools? You'll need to make sure you've got those.

Be warned, when your does come into heat, they might start being very vocal - and loud! If you're blessed, maybe all your does will do is wag their tails. Wethers won't do any of that, of course. : )

Hope that helps you a bit and that you enjoy your soon-to-be new goat venture!

Back
Top Bottom