going backwards

Suzyqtommi1955

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hello, new member and new to raising hens, I have 2 Delawares and 2 Astalops, anyway one of my Delawares that we now call Biddy backup displays a unusually action. She will suddenly drop and cock her head and take off in reverse until she bumps into another chicken which she gets scolded for or falls in the little ditch and goes into a roll, or runs into the fence. It can be rather funny , but I worry about her. she seems healthy isn't pecked at. Could this be a neurological problem.? Its really weird. Just wondering if anyone else has had a chicken do this.

Welcome! She sounds pretty strange to me; how old are they? From a hatchery or random source? Vaccinated for Marek's disease? Diet? Is she improving or getting worse? Does she have vision problems? Mary

Yes, it's a neurologic problem. Look up "Crazy chick disease" or "Vitamin E encephalitis". You should be able to find some videos similar to what you are describing. I have a BSL who does that occasionally, though not to the extent that yours does. Mine most often does it in the morning, when it's cold, or when she's molting. I've found that if I give her some extra vitamins, she snaps out of it. In other respects she's a normal hen. Has beautiful feathers, and is a good layer. I'd not hatch any of her chicks. Try giving her some Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Yes, it's a neurologic problem. Look up "Crazy chick disease" or "Vitamin E encephalitis". You should be able to find some videos similar to what you are describing. I have a BSL who does that occasionally, though not to the extent that yours does. Mine most often does it in the morning, when it's cold, or when she's molting. I've found that if I give her some extra vitamins, she snaps out of it. In other respects she's a normal hen. Has beautiful feathers, and is a good layer. I'd not hatch any of her chicks. Try giving her some Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Thank you for this! I had a chick with this same problem last year, all I could find was wry neck. It seemed close and was all I could find, so I ran with it and treated her with vitamin E and selenium. She stopped having problems after 2 or 3 days and has been perfectly healthy since. From what I just looked up about "Crazy chick disease" it looks like the treatment is the same: extra vitamin E, and probably selenium to help with absorption.

I found it muuuch easier to give her the vitamin E from dry tablets I got from the dollar store, crushed and mixed into a slurry with some water, than it was to deal with gelcaps. I got selenium tablets from the dollar store too.

Back
Top Bottom