Backing up, Walking Backward 11mos old

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
My hen is acting strangely and this is a new behavior. She will back up out of nowhere or start backing up even more than the video shows, walking backward. She does it when no other chickens are around her. It’s new as of this past week. Any ideas? (For some reason the video won’t show up here)

Background - Welbar hen 11mos old, still laying regularly. She’s lowest on the pecking order of only 3 hens. In the past 2 months she has had sour crop, comb tear, bullying, and wheezing (treated with antibiotics). She was doing well for awhile but last week she screamed several times when we held her one day and we had never heard this sound from her. I was concerned she was in pain and her abdomen felt swollen. Took her to the vet and no water belly or anything else but she had a small internal hernia that we knew about already. Vet says everything else looks good and wasn’t concerned. Then just this past week it’s this weird backward walking behavior. Anyone seen this before? Happening often like she’s backing up, hesitating, recoiling… I don’t even know. But when it’s just her she’s still doing it. Please help!

Last edited:
She has torticollis. Wry neck. Give her vitamin E with egg each day until she's better. It should clear up, if not in a few hours, but probably in a day or two.

She has torticollis. Wry neck. Give her vitamin E with egg each day until she's better. It should clear up, if not in a few hours, but probably in a day or two.
Why would this happen out of nowhere? It’s so strange. I gave her vit e with selenium in some scrambled egg earlier tonight and rooster booster (b12) in her water. Thank you!! I‘m praying it helps!

I don't know why it comes on so suddenly, but this is how it's happened in my flock, and it disappears just as quickly after administering the vitamin E.

Are you asking if I regularly give vitamin E to my flock? No. I only have given E when a chicken has torticollis. After they return to normal, sometimes within hours, I continue the E for another day or two, then stop.

Back
Top Bottom