going out of town....

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
i am going out of town friday mid day and wont be back til sunday. my 3 hens like to sleep on top of the coop (who knows why) but since its been cold i put them inside it. i am in alabama and it is supposed to be 44 to 45 degrees at night while i am gone. will that be ok for them to sleep on top since i wont be here to put them in? also they free range unless we are gone if i have to run up the road for a few minutes i leave them out but other that that when we are home they free range. will they be ok staying inside the pen while we are gone? the pen is 8 and half wide by 19 half long give or take a few inches. its completely closed it top to bottom. so will they be ok in ther pen? i hate for them to be enclosed all day but i cant help it.

Hi the3ofus+oursixchicks

They will probably adjust really well to being in the run.....mine act like they are needing out when they are in the run and I'm there....and instantly settle in for a hen party the instant that I am gone. You DO want them to be as safe as possible. If the weather is really bad, do they go in their coop? I think that they will easily handle the 40's and as long as it isn't wet, they should be just fine.

yes fri and sat are supposed to be sunny and in the 60's. supposed to rain thursday here but i will be here. yes they get in the coop when its raining. for some reason they just like getting on top of the coop which drives me crazy. yeah i think after i put them in the pen and they see my car leave they know i left or disappeared or something
wink.png
i just hate for them to be confined but that is why we built a good size pen for things like this.

Better to leave them cooped up than have them eaten up! We have seen Great Horned Owls perched atop our cherry trees at night and caught a Barred Owl in a foot trap we'd set out for a raccoon. There are night time predators that could make short work of your chickens while you're away!

Back
Top Bottom