Going rate for a WL cockerel?

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
Well... Tonight I was outside with the kids feeding the chickens banana. My 4 year old son was pushing his truck around behind me. We have had trouble with "Bingo" chasing him a few months back. We keep Oliver from getting near Bingo. I turned my head for a second and heard screaming. Bingo had jumped up into Oliver's face and scratched him with his feet. He screamed and I took off running towards Bingo with my garden hoe.
So needless to say the roo has to go. I can't have him hurting the kids and it's only going to get worse as he is only around 4.5 months old.
I feel bad about the whole situation. Bingo is quite a cockerel and watches his flock like you wouldn't believe. He is on his toes all the time and now that we have something taking my chickens here and there I am afraid to get rid of him. I am afraid he will hurt the kids though.
So should I try to re-home him to a place where there are no kids or should he be culled?
What a mess.

Last edited:
oh your poor son. I think I would list him in the papers as a free roo and hope someone wants him. Definitely tell anyone interested that he's not good with small kids, but a great protector of his flock. Anyone else have ideas?

I don't want him to get eaten. I would certainly tell the new owner that him being around small children is not ok. I feel that he has wonderful qualities as a rooster, but to us he is a threat. I hate to cull him for doing his job kwim?
I am hoping someone has ideas.

Back
Top Bottom