Going to look at a house UPDATE W/ PICS

up here just the land would be worth the $40K. it sure looks like it'd be quite an endeavor....

but the poster who said when you know it's right, you'll know.
smile.png

best of luck.

Quote:
Me to. It bothers me to see a house just sit there and go to waste when there are so many people than could benefit from one.

Me too!!! There is one up the road a bit from me and it sat all alone in this HUGE field up on a hill. No one had lived in it for as long as I can remember. When I saw the new neighborhood sign go up, I knew it was doomed! BUT actually, they kept it there, fixed it up and built onto it!! I was so happy!!! I always loved that house, even though it was nothing nice to look at. I just knew it had to have lots of history!

If we had the money and the time, I would definitely look into fixing one up!!

The land is worth that much..someday people will be lucky if they can find 1 acre..I see so much that could be done to it..If I lived there, I would start slow from the ground up..I myself can only see what it can become with some work..
Good Luck

Don
big_smile.png

Quote:
Me to. It bothers me to see a house just sit there and go to waste when there are so many people than could benefit from one.

Me too!!! There is one up the road a bit from me and it sat all alone in this HUGE field up on a hill. No one had lived in it for as long as I can remember. When I saw the new neighborhood sign go up, I knew it was doomed! BUT actually, they kept it there, fixed it up and built onto it!! I was so happy!!! I always loved that house, even though it was nothing nice to look at. I just knew it had to have lots of history!

If we had the money and the time, I would definitely look into fixing one up!!

Good! I hate it when folks tear old houses and barns down. Its fun to go look at 'em and see how folks used to live, ya know? Theres one down here and it has one little room with a fireplace. Thats it. Can you imagine livin with a whole family in one room?! Oh man, that'd be rough!

The listing says 66% of the land is woods, don't plan on leasing that out for hay without a lot of work.

It will likely need a new roof, just from what I can see in the low res pics on the listing.

Houses that old rarely have the amount of insulation we are used to nowadays, be prepared to gut it and install totally new.

Likely needs totally new wiring.

I can't tell if it is the angle of the camera or not, but there is a chance of having foundation issues.

New windows.

Probably new to just massive updates in the plumbing.

It all depends on how long it has sat empty, what (if any) updates have been done throughout the years, and how hard you are willing to work. Your 40k house will, in the end, cost you a lot more than just 40k.

So sayeth your friendly geotechnical geologist (I deal with foundations)

It doesn't matter how much the acreage is worth, unless you're planning on borrowing on it.... and I doubt that would be successful or wise considering our economy.
The house looks to need a tremendous amount of work.
The siding has probably rotted and will need to be replaced. No insulation in a home that old, no heating, and drafty everything will make for a really, really cold home this winter.
How old are your children?
There's a good possibility that rodents have chewed the electrical, and/or it's out of date and will need to be completely redone.
Do you have computer capability there?
How much are the property taxes?

That much acreage would be fun to have, but is the soil any good? How will you work with all the wooded area? Where are you neighbors and what are they like?
Just soooo many questions to ask before you sign on the dotted line.

Carla

It looks like it will take LOTS of work. My son and his wife are working on restoring an old farmhouse that was built in the 1880's on some of our farmground. I know there are days that they question if they did the right thing or if they'd have been ahead to tear it down and build a new one. By the time they're done they'll have about as much money in it as if they'd have built a new one.

Quote:
Yes the house needs work. kids are from 9 to 17. There is electric in half the house, the other half will need to be done. I'm sure I could go back to dial-up (bummer). taxes, not sure. My hubby has family near that area and the land is good for gardening. We could probably sell off some of the timber, maybe to cover the taxes.

We haven't seen it up close, so it isn't chisseled in stone yet. Maybe I can talk the owners into just giving it to me.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom