Going to look at a house UPDATE W/ PICS

This is what I would do and alot of people around here have done this.
Rent a mobile home have them bring it to the property and live in that till the house is done. Considering the age of the house I would not trust the wiring. And it would go up like a tinder box.
But I definitely would buy it!
Here in Ma you can't sell a house without the septic meeting the codes. If it doesn't , the seller has to put a new one in. Its the Law

I also see what you see and would buy it in a heartbeat!

My kids just bought 13 acres with no house and paid wayyyy over with what your looking at.

I see a handmade stone BBQ out the back door. Generations of a family gathered under the shade of the trees, tire swings swaying under their broad limbs. Little girls jumping rope, the boys throwing horse shoes, the men gathered around the BBQ grilling chicken and steaks, and the ladies snapping beans and cleaning corn on the porch.

I see home-canned peaches, peas, corn and tomatoes on the shelves. I see jars of nuts, pickled eggs and cucumbers there, too.

I see a warm and welcoming home brimming with love and laughter. The house is smiling because it's got love in it again. It's happy, it's telling it's story of love and family.

The land is green and lush. Full of the fruits of labor.

I see home. Your home, or someone's home.

I'd say, "Where do I sign?"

As a side note, those 10 wonderous acres would run about $400,000 here. The fact that it has an 'old, run-down, disposable' house on it would bring the property value down. Understand, though, that if I had the ability, I'd fix that house up and live in it!

ETA: We have a friend who sold her 6 acres with two OLD, really run-down single wide mobiles (fire boxes) and years worth of junk and trash on the land for well over $300,000 AS-IS 3 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see concrete repaired, siding, and new windows.
I see railings on the porch and hostas lining it.

I see a finished kitchen...and if the hardwood floors could be polished and waxed...that would be cool...or get laminate wood floor.

I see painted walls and ceilings with that mold inhibiting paint.

I see the kids having fun decorating thier rooms.

I see animals in the background and I see a hunting trip for Thanksgiving dinner... being planned and executed.

I see your shelves lined with nature's bounty of all glorious shades and flavors.

And so you know, my sister lives an hour from the hospital and at least half an hour from shopping centers. It is an inconveniance in that respect...but she loves raising her family there.

*i see draft problems with the windows and lack of insulation

*i see water stains

*i see crumbling cement

I like the idea of a mobile home as temporary residence.
I like the idea of going there on a good heavy rain.

and can't you hire a person for an appraisal for what is it these days? $300
I know that is done with buying the house but you can hire one before you get that far.

and if you find your going to dump money in it and you could get an updated home with all the amnemmeties and runs more effeciantly....and it would cost the same....go ahead and build one but don't forget to include a cellar for all those fruit trees.

me,
g

Tuffoldhen--chicken mama--maplesky7

You all do see what I see.
yippiechickie.gif
I thought about a family gathering. I could see my girls jumping rope. My daughter was talking how a nice flower bed in front of the porch would make it welcoming. I am so glad you all see what I see. Oh, and the shelves lined with the bounty of the fruit that's there.

We have thought about all the work that would need to be done. We have considered it BIG time. But me and girls are home all day and we could work on it a lot. Not so much as to wear the girls out but, we could get a lot done.

We have also discussed that if the owner will not put in a well and septic, we will not buy. It is also law here about the well/septic system. They have to be up to code. We'll see.

love.gif

I so love it too!!This has most certainly been a fun topic! Please keep us all posted and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get it! Then if you get it you can keep giving us an update on the progress..

In the last picture you posted there's a single phase power line with a transformer. Is that on a property line or does it cross the property? The reason I'm asking is if it crosses the property it could present land usage issues due to right-of-way's or easements.

Last edited:
It looks to me like small rooms, which would be ideal for us if we were just the two of with visiting kids/gk's. It looks like a very old farm house and the surrounding area is my dream. You could do so much to that - like rebuidling Tara after the war. I LOVE the brick and wood in it. There is so much potential there it makes my heart ache - I WANT IT!

I get a peaceful easy feeling, as the old song says, when I look at that land. I can def. see the house restored- such a pretty little place it will be- a safe haven for all who enter there....

Back
Top Bottom