Going to look at a house UPDATE W/ PICS

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
I was looking through the real estate book the other day and I came across this old 1930's two story house. At first I thought, nah! But then I looked closer and it comes with 10.5 acres and the only animal restriction is "no Pigs or hogs" not sure as to why, but oh well.

Anyways the price of the house and land is $40,900 and I am curious as to what you all may think. The house can and will need alot of fixing up, but me with me a 3 girls home all day, we can do it. It does need a new well and septic, due to the fact the well collapsed and no one has lived in it for over a year.

I agree with my girls when they say "Mom, it looks creepy." but with a lot of TLC and elbow grease it just might work. See, I see and pale yellow vinyl siding on this house and some new windows and all of those leaves gone. Pretty green grass growing and chickens running everywhere. Don't you see what I see?
smile.png

Plus with the times getting the way they are, we could use the land. We could even lease 1/2 the land out for hay or something.

With that said hear is a link to the house so you can tell me what you think. Potential? Do you see what I see? Or should we leave it alone?

http://www.janicebickfordrealty.com/default.asp?content=my_account Enter the MLS# 36838 at the top to go to the listing. Dont worry about the name, email and all of that junk.
Please give me your honest opinion. We (Hubby, myself & the kids) are going to go on Thurs. and look at it.

Last edited:
I would first check on things like the plumbing, well and septic. Check that out and see what condition it is in. Replacing those things can be expensive. I would have someone come in and look at the structure of the house, make sure it isn't going to fall over on you. Make sure it is safe.

It looks like a nice project and if you don;t mind the work and every thing is ok, then I would say go for it! Definitely have someone come take a look at it though just to make sure everything if fine and it won;t be more than you can handle right now.

Let us know how it goes!!!!

Quote:
I like them to. I like the charm they hold. And I also like the history behind some of them. Just thinking of all that has went on in all those years. I have always wanted an old house. But I have to agree with Bec, see my hubby builds houses for a living and he can have one of his friends to come and check the soundness of the house. We also know an exterminator that can come in and check for termite damage.

Last edited:
Since the well is shot and the septic is probably gone too it doesn't look to me like it is worth 40K even with the 10 acres of land.

Get an inspection. It has no basement or cellar. Have someone check the foundation and look for termites and rot.

It will need tons of work but hard work pays off.

I know this sounds odd but, when my husband and I were looking at houses last year and let me tell you we looked at A LOT of them, I kept telling my realator that when I found the house I would know. Well when hubbie and I pulled up and I got out of the car I saw what the house was what I wanted and how I could make them work and we are very happy about the choice we made.

Septic and Wells are not cheap so be ready to feel a little woozy when you get estimates. You just have to know what is right for you and your family, and you will know, then you will second guess yourself to no end. But in the long run you and your hubby will make the right decision for you.

I see lots of work. It really depends on how much $$$ your willing to put into it. Around here, the 10 acres alone is worth WAAAYY over 40,000. Like Bec said, plumbing and electrical are big considerations. But, like you, I see beauty in just about everything, I'm an optimist! I'd love to have an old farm house, fixed up with a new tin roof,a big front porch and a wood burning insert on about 10 acres!

Make sure you check for black mold also, old houses tend to be really damp, and that is where the mold likes to grow. Take it from someone who knows, black mold is toxic, It is what cost my Dad his life:(
It does show some potential. The property looks nice.
Keep us posted.
Brenda

Last edited:
My hubby said he was going to ask if they will take about 30k for it and if not, he is going to throw the option out there ot see if they will have the well and septic dug for the 40k price. The people that own the house live in PA, so they may take the offer just to get it off their backs. If so, great. If not they can keep it.
smile.png

But we are going to give both options to the owners.

Back
Top Bottom