Going to start a hatchery in a few years.

chickenlover54

Henely Hatchery
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Northern Illinois
Hi everyone, haven't been on in a few years. I sold all my birds a few years back because I went off to college. I'm graduating with my bachelors in business w/ a minor in entrepreneurial business soon then on to my masters. After those 2 years I will be starting a larger scale hatchery with about 36 breeds/varieties of chickens. Which is not even half of the varieties of most large hatcheries, so I'd have to be very selective. My largest concern is not being able to compete with well established hatcheries. I will need to compete with them because of the immense start up cost($200,000ish). My dream has always been to have a large hatchery. I want to focus on having higher than average hatchery quality birds. My passion is bantams, but bantams are significantly less productive and hardy as standards - but I can house more in smaller areas. My question is, do you guys feel a bantam only hatchery(atleast in the beginning) would sell enough? I'd also like to hear other thoughts you have as well. Thank you for reading!

Hi, I really could not say anything about bantams, but what you may wish to consider is finding a way to provide a value-added service or product when compared to other hatcheries. No idea what that may be, but you have to be able to attract customers who would be happy to pay a slightly higher price than other hatcheries that can keep prices lower due to economies of scale.

All the best in your plans

Ct

I plan on creating an active YouTube channel that is informative and also somewhere for people to see videos of large amounts of chicks, everyone loves that. I hope to be able to attract customers that way. I will find others as well. Thank you for your advice.
1f60c.png

It's very speculative because of how many variables there are. A rough calculation if I hatch all eggs laid at a 85% hatch rate I will produce 5,300 chicks a week during peak laying season. But I plan on selling hatching eggs so probably less.

Most large hatcheries don't have all of the breeds of chickens and other fowl they advertise on one big farm. They advertise the breeds they are able to buy from breeders in their area.

In order to hatch 5,000+ chicks per week, you will have to house 7,000 to 10,000 adult chickens. What will you do with all of your adult chickens when hatching season is over? Chickens will need upkeep year 'round. Are you going to have hired help? What will you do with chicks that don't sell? It will be a big endeavor and I wish you all the luck! Maybe after I retire I can come to work part time for you. (I have dreamed of starting a hatchery also.)

Thank you for everyone's input! I will have around 1,500 birds. It will be a major undertaking but one that I have put years of thought into. Any thoughts on the bantam idea?

Back
Top Bottom