Going to the city and need to leave my babies

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Hello, tomorrow I need to go to the city for about 12 hours and my baby chicks are about two and a half weeks...three on fri...I am ok with the feed...they are in the brooder in my home..and spoiled...I hold them and play with them everyday...but I usually give them fresh water in a saucer about every two hours. I have bowls and such, but don't want any accidents while I'm gone or them running out of water. Are they old enough to not drown if I put water in a bowl? They are very perky and they might tip it over...I just don't know what to do, but I need to go and the only way I can will be about 12 hours. One hour trip one way...I could take them with me, I'll be staying at my daughters, but it's a big ordeal to take the brooder and the chicks...she has dogs and a cat.. a loud husband and two teenage girls....and a small apartment. Any ideas?
he.gif

Last edited:
12 hours is not that long, they will coast just fine if you water them before you leave... But if you are concerned, go to the dollar store and get a bag of marble (in the floral area) put the marbles in a bowl and fill it with water to the top of the marbles... This should last all day if not longer, the chicks can peck between the marbles and get water but it's hard for them to drown...

Why not get a chick waterer from tractor supply/feed store? The base is like $2 and you can screw a mason jar into it. Made just for chicks so the base is nice and shallow. It'll last them all day and if you prop it up on something they can't get any shavings/poo in it.

Back
Top Bottom