gold comets

mxpres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Lenoir,NC
I purchased 12 gold comets,18 weeks old ,,any information on this breed will be appreciated,I have 16 hours of light in my coop at this time,is this a good layer?and how early do they start laying,,I stumbled upon this site last week and discoverd a wealth of information,everything here is very helpful to a beginner such as myself,I got started with chickens last spring,started with 5 australorps and 16 black broilers,,12 were roosters,I processed the roosters and kept the hens,they are doing very well,,I gave away several dozen fresh eggs now I have people wanting to purchase fresh(country eggs,,hope to pay my feed bill from my sales,lost my australorps to a varmit attack several weeks ago,now Im having to start over,with more secure pens,padlocks on the doors and nest box lids,electric fence,nite guards,its heartbreaking to see your pets destroyed by varmits,after raising them from chicks,nothing is overkill when it comes to protecting your flock,,,

I don't have any, but that is all a friend of mine has and they are very good layers for her. I think hers started laying at 17 weeks, but it was when there was more light.

welcome-byc.gif

I have Golden Comets myself. I have found that they are awesome egg layers and probably some of the best at laying other than a W. leghorn, but where they are bred to produce such a high number of eggs (which is up to or more than 300 per year) they can get egg bound. I just lost a hen due to this.

You can help them, but I was to late. She was bound by 3 eggs and the middle one busted and she suffered horribly because I really wasn't sure if it was from her being egg-bound or gape-worm. Once she passed, we done a necropsy to find that she was for sure egg-bound.

Keep a close eye on this breed. If they start walking around with their tales pointed down you may need to administer a small amount of olive in through the mouth to try and coat the innards so it can possibly pass the egg. If not, I don't really know what else to tell you.

maybe someone else on here has found a way to help. Sorry if I was confusing.

ETA:::
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
My golden comets are very good layers, and started laying when they were 20 weeks old. In fact all of my sex-links are prolific layers and started laying at 20 weeks. No egg bound problems yet. Will watch for this though-thanks for the warning-Acre of Blessings! They are friendly girls, and we enjoy them a lot.

Very very nice chickens to own, Mine lay like clockwork, are calm and very easy keepers, I have not had any sort of medical problem with any of these girls. Good luck to ya.

AL

If I remember right, the Gold Comet was one of the earliest of the sex-link hybrids to become a favorite.

You can read more about Sex-links, here: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

You'll
find this sentence and more: "White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet."

Steve

As Digits points out, the Gold Comet is not a chicken "breed" but a hybrid resulting from the cross of two chicken breeds. In other words, two Gold Comets mated will not result in another Gold Comet. You have to get two pure breeds, a New Hampshire Sire and a White Rock dam to reproduce new Gold Comets.

The above being said, I have heard that the hybrid, Gold Comet, have good dispositions, are hardy and lay a lot of eggs. There is something to be said about "hybrid vigor."

thanks for the information,I should have stated hybrids instead of breed,this is still a bit confusing to a beginner,all the different breeds,and hybrids,,but I will learn,,thanks to a lot of nice folks here,,,

I have gotten an egg a day from my Golden Comet since the day she started laying- she never missed a day, even throughout the winter time.
smile.png

I would love to have more of her.

Back
Top Bottom