Gold laced Wyandotte over Easter Egger

friednotscrambled

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 25, 2019
Has anyone done this and what color of eggs? light green? (EE's all lay blue eggs and I am fairly certain are Auracana x Ameraucana as some previous chicks are tailless)

Has anyone done this and what color of eggs? light green? (EE's all lay blue eggs and I am fairly certain are Auracana x Ameraucana as some previous chicks are tailless)
Yes, probably light green eggs.

There is a chance of some daughters laying brown eggs.

For each EE hen that lays blue eggs: either she has two blue egg genes, or she has one blue and one not-blue egg gene. If she has two blue egg genes, she gives one to each chick, so all the chicks lay blue or green. If she has one blue egg gene and one not-blue egg gene, each chick gets one or the other. So half of her chicks get the blue egg gene and lay blue or green eggs, but the other half of her chicks get the not-blue egg gene and they lay brown eggs (probably light brown in this case.)

Depending on how many hens have which set of egg color genes, you could get anywhere from 100% of daughters laying green to as low as 50% of daughters laying green (plus or minus a bit for random variation), or you could have some number in between.

Given what you said of the EEs, I think probably they all have 2 blue egg genes, so that would mean all daughters will lay green eggs (not brown). But I mentioned the other possibilities because I have no way to be certain of what genes they are carrying.

Back
Top Bottom