gold ring test

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spicy6, Mar 27, 2018.

1. spicy6

spicy6 In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2018
    Hello,
    I have a 4 week old chick that I think is a rooster. They seem to be feathering later and his/her feet are larger than the others.
    I heard about this thing called the gold ring test. I tried it with any old ring (that was not gold) and it went back and forth.
    I tried it on another aggressive chick that was showing no signs of rooster besides aggressiveness and it said they were a girl.
    how reliable is the gold ring test? will it work with any plain ring?
    pics of chick that ring test said was rooster.

Attached Files:

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Well that test has a 50/50 chance of being right. :confused:

But that's a pullet. :old In barred breeds the males get a double dose of the barring gene from their mums... making their white stripes appear twice as wide as the dark ones.

The females will have wider dark stripes. :)

Poultrybreeder likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Pretty sure this ring test is an old wives tale... sounds just like the one where you dangle a ring over a pregnant woman's belly to figure out the gender of the baby.

Foster's Freehold likes this.
  4. spicy6

spicy6 In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2018
    thank you so much. I have another chick that has their white strips already. (also 4 weeks old). do you think that the chick that I thought was a rooster could have problems because she has not white strips? or is she just a different color?

by the way, I'm 11 and these are my first batch up chickens that I own on my own.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: