Golden Comet question is he really a boy??????

Quote:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html :

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Yes, the names come from the breeders/hatcheries, but only because they each try to out do one another and have to be able to identify their strain as different from the other guys'.
smile.png

Quote:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html :

Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Yes, the names come from the breeders/hatcheries, but only because they each try to out do one another and have to be able to identify their strain as different from the other guys'.
smile.png

I just hope you realize that you can take any red roo, and breed it to any white carrying silver hen and get sexlinks. Like i can take a red cochin roo and breed it to a silver hen (or a silver carring hen) and get sexlinks. Ask on the gentics board
smile.png

Quote:
thank you you're the only one that matters to me in this anyhow
smile.png
I know what i've researched and golden comet is only a term... it means red sexlink, or in another way just a sexlink froma red roo and a silver or silver carrying hen blah blah blah
smile.png

I hope it is a hen for you.... i agree it does look hen and two hens (i hope the red is a hen i bet it is that your customer got
fl.gif
please keep me updated on that btw). All my reds turned out to be hens, and all my whites roos who i could tell was a roo from day one with or without teh white lol! Your chicks baby picture i cant tell so that has me agreeing hen there too lol!

you will be repaid tenfold is all i can say... i have some plans for you my dear *evil laugh* LOL want some red coturnixs in your future? IM to get hatching eggs from them probably today (but the way my day has ben going im sure they wont come lol)! ANYWHOO when i get ehm mature and breeding, Im gonna be contacting you to seeif you have room for them. They are pretty bird (pure coturnix) will be good for meat and selling color purposes if you're interested. If not no biggie. Now thati know you're getting BC marans... you can get those from me as well. It makes me so mad you got a flop (a nonsexlink) so im gonna fix that right up for you as soon as i can
smile.png
LOL!

I have breed a black breasted red American game rooster to white leghorn hens and the most of the chicks are sex-able at hatch.
Most of the pullet chicks had a reddish look and the roos were pure white.
I did have pullets that looked just like this one with black spots.
Great hens by the way.
I'll try to post some pictures of them as chicks and grown.
I'm going to try it again now with a welsummer rooster over the white leghorn hens. I would say I'll get the same results.

Guys is it just me or does the chick in the bowl have muffs and a beard along with a pea comb? Are you sure this is the chick in question?

I would like to try and clear things up a bit but am not trying to start an arguement nor do I wish to join in. A gold comet is considered a heavy breed developed for brown egg and meat production that can easily be sexed at a day old. This is the name of a paticular hybrid as is cherry egger, cinnamin queen, red star ect. Crossing a RIR to a WL still produces a sex link but think that if you compared an adult from this cross to a golden comet you will find some huge differences in conformation and probaly egg color or even egg size. The leghorn cross will probaly have less of a heavy breed appearence, having a slimer build and larger comb. They should still be great chickens and great layers. This is just an assumption but I would think they would lay larger tinted colored eggs since there is a leghorn in the mix. Hope that helps without making anyone too angry.

Last edited:
Settle down. I am not accusing you of being a liar... you know better than anyone else what you sent.

It is my personal belief that all golden comets are gold/red sexlinks but not all gold/red sexlinks are GCs. In my mind a GC is new Hampshire over white rock and nothing else. The girl chicks are cinnamon tinted faded chipmunk and the boys are an iconic chick yellow. Genetics can always throw you sports but by and large the results are highly predictable. I think rocks lay brown, don't they?

Back
Top Bottom