Golden Comet question is he really a boy??????

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
I hatches 2 golden comets a while back. One was redder I figured that was the pullet and one was white (figured it was the roo) but he does not seem that roo-ish to me. At least his comb is still pretty small not very red more pinkish and barely any wattles at all. I am wondering if he is really a roo. here are some pics what do you think?

100_2462-1.jpg

100_2457.jpg

100_2459.jpg

100_2461.jpg

100_2462.jpg

Last edited:
wow I mean I always figured it was a boy but compared to all my other roos the same age he is really pathetic. Their combs are all much bigger and very red and they are all groing wattles are golden comets slower to mature? The others I have are mixed and BR, and Australorps and the roos are much more rooish

I'm pretty sure gold comets are only a 100% sex links from the first cross of red to white, whatever the parent breeds are. But if you take two of the offspring and cross them, it weakens the sex link and you could get roos and pullets in the opposite color so it may very well be a pullet if this is what you have done.

It's hard to tell feather shapes in the pics but they look rounded on the hackles, I'm going to guess pullet if it is a GC to GC breeding. If it were a first gen GC it would have to be a slow maturing cockerel.

well I bought them as golden comets I am pretty sure they were first generation.
idunno.gif
I just hope the one I thought was a pullet was or I am going to have an unhappy buyer!

they were first generation

RIR roo to WLH hen
smile.png

edited to add I see why you say pullet really does look hennish!? But it also looks a lot like it's full cockerel bro, just smaller in the comb.

Stupid byc isnt posting well today this is my third try...LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
Is this a chick you hatched or one you purchased? If, as you said initially, this is one you hatched -- and it is indeed a Golden Comet (mom was a silver-factored White Rock and dad was a New Hampshire Red) -- then it's a cockerel.

On the other hand, if you purchased Golden Comets and this is their offspring, it could very well be a pullet. Golden Comets are hybrids (a mix of two specific breeds that produces consistent results), they aren't a true breed and therefore will never be able to reproduce themselves. Their chicks will be barnyard mutts that can't be sexed when they hatch. If this is the case, the chick in question could be a pullet (and the one not in question could be a cockerel). They also can't be sold as Golden Comets since they're second generation produced by mixed breed parents.

Last edited:
yes this is the one I hatched, I will post a pic of the 2 that hatched you will see one (the questionable one) is white at hatch and the other one (which I sold as a pulett) is reddish. I have not breed them as they were hatched in Jan.

It just acts like a hen and sort of looks like one to me and I am thionking sionce I only had 2 hatch that maybe I did not have enough to compare with. I will look for that pic....

Back
Top Bottom