Golden Comets

The definition of “cull” is “to select”. Many people think it means “kill” but it really doesn’t. If you cull your birds, you remove them from your flock. That may mean you eat them, sell them, or give them away. It could even mean you just move them to another pen, such as separating chickens you don’t want to breed from your breeding flock. How you cull your flock just depends on your management practices. Your choice...

thanks, for use lower egg count ins't a big deal, we would just weed out those that start showing laying problems or egg count is way down. I guess when i was looking up about the buff orp there was some reviews stating after i think it was 4 they stopped laying all together, so i assumed all breeds were this way.

You have to know the context to understand what people are really saying. Sometimes they don’t know themselves. What that sounds like is that the hens all started the molt together and quit laying together. Once the molt was finished they should resume laying plenty of nice eggs.

You have to know the context to understand what people are really saying. Sometimes they don’t know themselves. What that sounds like is that the hens all started the molt together and quit laying together. Once the molt was finished they should resume laying plenty of nice eggs.
is there something you can do to help with laying issues that the comets have or is that something that you can't help to control?

also what way is better for feed (once they are off starter feed) 16% and the oysters separate or an 18% that has oysters in it? ive gotten some mix info on the feed as ive been told that a specific kind/mix will raise egg lay and the 18% is what was recommended by my step dad as that is what they feed their comets since it had the oysters in it and they laid good.

one thing i couldnt find out is if comets favor (i know they are a smaller sex link) the lrg breed they are bred from or if they are classified a small breed bird.

I don't know where RKO gets theirs I know ours along with our TSC sometimes gets a batch of chicks in from local farmers (don't know what comes from where). but that is something i will ask the next time we are in there, as i thought comets came from being mixed from RIRs and NH didn't realize there was different variations of comets (golden).

I get my Comets from Meyer Hatchery. They are pretty heavy, probably 6-7lbs fully grown. They will likely lay through true first winter, but after that if you don't use supplemental light during the winter it can help give their system a break.

As for feed, since I have a mix flock of ages (and eventually a roo in 19 days if my hatch goes right) I feed an all flock ration with oyster on the side for layers. It usually runs 18%-20% protein and makes feeding a lot easier.

thanks, for use lower egg count ins't a big deal, we would just weed out those that start showing laying problems or egg count is way down. I guess when i was looking up about the buff orp there was some reviews stating after i think it was 4 they stopped laying all together, so i assumed all breeds were this way.

To me that reads more like the birds reached age 4 and the reviewer saw such a significant drop in production (given the age of 4 that would be expected) and to them that mean the bird had "stopped laying all together" - meaning just that, stopped laying, period.

Yes, I misread that somehow as four birds. It was age four. Thanks for catching that. You should still get few eggs but by that age most will not be laying a lot. They really slow down by then.

If the Comets are made from regular breeds, they should be no different than regular dual purpose birds. If they are the hybrid commercial egg layers I’d restrict their feed to 16% protein instead of the higher protein feeds many people feed. The more protein they eat the larger the eggs, which is nice but it does raise the health risk a bit.

I probably made it sound like they’ll be dropping like flies. They won’t, but the risk is a little greater and I think it’s worth considering. Many people are extremely happy with both types.

Does anyone know where I may find a pullet? My granddaughters was caught by the neighbors cat, and she is devastated, and I feel responsible because I left them out when I was away for an afternoon. PLEEEEEase help me!!!

you never need a rooster, if you just want eggs & if your hens are safe in a coop & good size run situation, & not out on acreage by them selves, that is what any rooster should be doing protecting the hens from predators , but roos are more trouble then they are worth, your hens will be much better off with out the constant harassment from a rooster that can actually harm your hens, roosters can & do kill hens , we ended up with a giant NHR roo that came in a group of sexed chicks...lol....
big_smile.png
O yeah that happens gosh...lol... don't you just love it....lol...but he never gets near my hens, as he grew he became very combative ,and since we never kill or harm gods gifts , our animals. he was a giant problem at first , what to do with him ..?
roll.png
so i trained him to guard my yard, and he is good at that job, and we treat him well he gets treats & food he likes, every day just like the hens, I even like him for being so brave , but really & truly he could put some one in the hospital , if he could get at them believe you me. but he is good around me, so he will have a good home here until he goes of a natural death.

Back
Top Bottom