Golden gone broody?

Brooke0207

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2017
So I have a question, I've heard how terrible polish chickens are when it comes to mothering their eggs and will usually drop it and walk away. Over the last week two of my polish have started laying, one tends to lay anywhere and leave it and the second has make a nest and been laying in it. However up until today I've been collecting them all and incubating them. Today I noticed the one polish(with the nest) circling and squawking at the nest. An hour later I went in to look for eggs and she was laying in the nest fixing it, then laying an egg. Should I leave the egg or collect it?

So should I still collect the egg?
I would, you could always leave some ceramic eggs in your nest if you are attempting to encourage broodiness, though they won't make a bird not prone to going broody become broody but will help one leaning that way. Most breeds the urge has been bred out.

Yes. Polish are non-setters. One of mine used to set on eggs for a few days, then give up, so I don't think it's worth letting them even try. Your hen will get over this behavior and your incubator hatch rate will improve with fresh, unsoiled eggs.
Thank you I have collected her eggs. I was debating because there seems to be an animal going in and stealing my other chicken or duck eggs anyway. The incubated eggs are doing great. Out of 19, 6 were infertile and 2 seem to have died.

Back
Top Bottom