Aug 7, 2018
Northern Va
Hi everyone! I recently got some golden pheasant chicks! They are a couple of months old now and will be outside by the end of the month, which is exciting! (They stink up the room they are in by the end of the day really bad now lol, so I want them outside). I do though have a few questions I would love answered because the information out on the internet about pheasants is so varied and contradictory everywhere!

Okay, So for one, what are insects pheasants are allowed to eat? I just read that live meal-worms kill them by attacking their stomach from the inside!! AHHHHH! We almost bought them some but there was a shortage at the store! I'm so glad or they could've died! :barnie
So what insects are okay? I am of course going to let them eat ones outside but whats a staple to get their calcium/protein up without killing them! I would also love suggestions of other treats and snacks your pheasants love, and what other things are potentially dangerous/deadly.

Question 2! So who can they live with? I have heard so many mixed messages about this! Its driving me crazy! :th I understand that chickens have blackhead and other stuff they can give to pheasants who aren't immune, but shouldn't Golden Pheasants be resistant since they have lived in captivity since the 1700s? Are ducks okay? I've heard the wetness is dangerous but our duck houses are NEVER wet since the floor is plywood and would rot. Also, do ALL chickens carry the diseases that are dangerous, or could my chickens be tested to see if they are free from carrying it? I just need some real answers! :bow
Also, are the diseases there but likely not to transfer? Some people say turkey's and chickens can't live together but I know people who've housed them for 20+ years and never had a problem. Also can they live in houses next to each other? I don't have a lot of space so if the likelihood they will get sick is less than 20% I think I'll keep them close to each other. IDK

If you also know of some pheasant-safe plants for their enclosure that would be awesome! :lol:

I'll probably remember more later but its late where I am and I am exhausted. PLEASE HELP ME AND THANK YOU SO MUCH :wee:thumbsup

Never have heard of mealworms killing any bird! I feed live mealworms to new hatchlings, 1/4" to 1/2" size. Sometimes a big one will get dropped in and it's a "tug o' war" between several of them to see who gets the worm. Could you post the article, you read, stating "mealworms attack their insides", would love to read that one!
I feed my birds a complete and balanced 24% protein feed that I have a local mill make for me, with essential vitamins and minerals added per my instructions. As far as "treats", I feed sunflower hearts, parched barley, and "greens". If they eat bugs that get into their pens, I don't see them eating them but sure they do if they can catch'em.

Chickens are carriers of alot of diseases that they are immune to but will kill pheasants, not just blackhead.
My thought is, why chance it? It's just a matter of time before the "ticking time bomb" goes off. Yeah, you read or hear of people raising them together or in close proximity to chickens and other fowl but what they don't tell you is one or some have died, and they didn't know why!
In my humble experience, gamebirds should never be raised with or near other poultry.
BIOSECURITY is paramount when breeding/raising gamebirds.

Landscaping is great for the pheasants overall health and contentness. Large aviaries work best, or if you can rotate birds to another enclosure to let the other recuperate and grow back out. I have room, so I do both. Mine are planted in clover, purple fountain grass, Rose of Sharon, clumping bamboo, yaopon holly, and various endemic grasses. I also have large smooth rocks, river rock, large stumps, limbs, and perches to break "line of sight" in their enclosures and helps keep them from pacing the perimeter of the enclosure.

This is the way I raise my birds, your results may differ and probably will. Best wishes to you on your pheasant raising/breeding endeavors.

I read about the meal worms on the Meyer Hatchery Blog
https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2018/08/20/more-than-just-chicks-how-to-raise-exotic-pheasants/
Since its such a big hatchery, I assumed it was true, and panicked!

Thanks for your response that's super helpful! :D
I'm still wondering the proximity that's okay. Could they be in pens next to each other but never touch or go on the same ground?

Also, I'm planning to put my larger aviary where an old chicken coop is. It was there before we arrived and hasn't had chickens in at least 10+ years. Will the ground still be dangerous? It has a dirt floor and all these plants growing in it. I want to knock the walls down but keep the plants so my pheasants have coverage.

I read about the meal worms on the Meyer Hatchery Blog
https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2018/08/20/more-than-just-chicks-how-to-raise-exotic-pheasants/
Since its such a big hatchery, I assumed it was true, and panicked!

Thanks for your response that's super helpful! :D
I'm still wondering the proximity that's okay. Could they be in pens next to each other but never touch or go on the same ground?

Also, I'm planning to put my larger aviary where an old chicken coop is. It was there before we arrived and hasn't had chickens in at least 10+ years. Will the ground still be dangerous? It has a dirt floor and all these plants growing in it. I want to knock the walls down but keep the plants so my pheasants have coverage.
Wow never heard of meal worms killing a bird. That is what I mainly feed to my baby cranes. I raise baby chickens with the cranes and some times the chick steals the worm. It is fun to watching them fight over it. Funniest part is when I grab the chick and it quickly gulps the worm and grabs another.

I don't know what the point of the blogger was in saying to "Never feed live mealworms" other than to increase the sell of dried mealworms, or maintaining a sponsorship? Don't believe everything you read!
And as far as asking again about keeping pheasants near or with other poultry and whether or not you can house them on ground previously occupied by chickens, the blogger did get that correct.
  • It is imperative to set up your pen in an area where chickens have not previously been raised. Chickens can carry diseases that lay dormant in the soil that can affect the health and well being of your pheasants.
  • Be sure to allow at least 20 square feet of space per bird. Cannabalism can be a real issue if your pen is overcrowded.
  • Provide good cover for your birds. Setting up your flight pen in an area with natural grass and weedy vegetation is ideal. If your area is bare, we recommend planting oats and/or millet.
This is essentially the same thing I posted, only difference is I was speaking from experience.

I don't know what the point of the blogger was in saying to "Never feed live mealworms" other than to increase the sell of dried mealworms, or maintaining a sponsorship? Don't believe everything you read!
And as far as asking again about keeping pheasants near or with other poultry and whether or not you can house them on ground previously occupied by chickens, the blogger did get that correct.
  • It is imperative to set up your pen in an area where chickens have not previously been raised. Chickens can carry diseases that lay dormant in the soil that can affect the health and well being of your pheasants.
  • Be sure to allow at least 20 square feet of space per bird. Cannabalism can be a real issue if your pen is overcrowded.
  • Provide good cover for your birds. Setting up your flight pen in an area with natural grass and weedy vegetation is ideal. If your area is bare, we recommend planting oats and/or millet.
This is essentially the same thing I posted, only difference is I was speaking from experience.
Haha I don't believe it a bit! They must want more dried mealworm business. They cost sooo much! But Amazon has them cheep. I get 15 pounds for $80.

Haha I don't believe it a bit! They must want more dried mealworm business. They cost sooo much! But Amazon has them cheep. I get 15 pounds for $80.
Yeah, I never heard of such nonsense! I raise my own because I have to have 1/4" to 1/2" worms for my prairie chicken chicks when they hatch. They won't eat crumbles right away. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom