Golden Polish: Pullet or Cockerel?

1dermaker1

Songster
Feb 2, 2023
Kearneysville, WV
Lucille is my Golden polish, (Named for my Grandma) she was the "Mystery chick" sent with my Murray McMurray order in March. Born on March 6th, so in her 12th week now. You notice I keep calling her "she"..I've read they are difficult to sex, but I know someone here will know. She's not crowing yet, and both of my Bielefelders have been crowing since they were 7weeks old, so I'm hoping she's a she! But I'll just call her Lucian if you tell me she's a cockerel :p
20230608_162804.jpg
20230611_161143.jpg
20230611_161427.jpg

Lucian it is then! Thank you for the advice, I don't see me showing him, but breeding might be something to think about...speaking of plumage, thought I'd throw in this pic:View attachment 3538015
Yes you are in for a real treat with him. You want to see the black concentrate at the base of the neck and tail. If those evolve to solid black, and then get some accents on top of either - that is a winner.

Hello there!

Yes, this is a cockerel. Very, very nice plumage on this one. Typically in the gold laced variety this much black in a cockerel is highly sought after. You would do well showing this guy, or breeding him if you know anyone who breeds👍

Very nice bird.
Lucian it is then! Thank you for the advice, I don't see me showing him, but breeding might be something to think about...speaking of plumage, thought I'd throw in this pic:
20230611_170119.jpg

@BastyPutt Not that I had any doubt in your expertise, but Today on the day after his 14 week b-day, Lucian crowed for the first time in my presence 😀 So we're official... 3 cockerels in a flock of 27...
Hey hey alright! I'm yank
You very much for letting me know.

3:27 is a nice ratio. All eggs should be fertile and you shouldn't have any overbreeding. In my experience, Polish cockerels/roosters are really good at "sharing the wealth" 🤣 they don't tend to pick favorites.

Yes you are in for a real treat with him. You want to see the black concentrate at the base of the neck and tail. If those evolve to solid black, and then get some accents on top of either - that is a winner.
Good to know. Is it weird that he isn't trying to crow yet with the other 2 cockerels already setting the example?

Back
Top Bottom