Gonna go donate some blood. how about you?

Quote:
Most of the time don't wear a helmet but that's for another thread. I am absolutely 100% an organ donor!!! If I fall and hit my head I can save a few lives. Kinda weird but true.
hmm.png

At least you wont go to waste!
lol.png

Hubby also does the plasma too. Nothing to it, he says!

He is now signing up for bone marrow match, had the mailing tests done and waiting for the responses.

And yes both of us are organ donors. I had to laugh at FIL about those "vampires" will bleed us dry when blood donating and "how they would hack our bodies to pieces when donating organs". Such mentality!
roll.png

I'd be interested in hearing his experience with the marrow program. It's on my list of things I know I should do but I'm still a little squeamish about it.

And as for the organ donor thing, when I'm dead I hope they hack apart every piece of me and play some good country in the background while ripping and cutting.
smile.png

Quote:
And it's for a b.s. reason. I also can't give for a different, but equally b.s. reason, and I am O-!

Some of those questions do seem a bit much. I know this isn't exactly ethical but what if you just lie or fib a little?

the questions are (rather crudely) designed to ensure that the blood collected is as healthy as possible. I don't really understand though, they test every single sample of blood for like 14 things. really important things... so I don't understand why it matters if I've been to europe, or been a dependent of a military member from 1980 something to 1996...

chickensducks&agoose :

the questions are (rather crudely) designed to ensure that the blood collected is as healthy as possible. I don't really understand though, they test every single sample of blood for like 14 things. really important things... so I don't understand why it matters if I've been to europe, or been a dependent of a military member from 1980 something to 1996...

I believe the military questions are there because of the many vaccinations the military gives. (that's a guess)

The "adult" questions make me laugh. I can't type here what I'm thinking.
hmm.png

I used to give regularly, but now I am banned for life. It turns out that I have a bleeding disorder. I know the ban is primarily to protect me, but I do wonder if I jinxed anyone with inferior blood. I wish my dad would stop doing the blood platelet donations until he's been cleared. It is a dominant hereditary disorder so 50% chance he shouldn't be doing it either.

It makes me sad every Christmas that I can't give blood. It used to be a family tradition that I looked forward to.

Back in April when I gave last I would either laugh at the questions or say "yes, but only once back in the 70's. Does that count?". Since he knew my birth year (1970) he just smiled and moved on to the next question.
smile.png

Quote:
And it's for a b.s. reason. I also can't give for a different, but equally b.s. reason, and I am O-!

Some of those questions do seem a bit much. I know this isn't exactly ethical but what if you just lie or fib a little?

I would probably be ok to fib. A long time ago when my hubby was very young and very stupid he wasn't a very sober person. He one time shot up, and I do believe it was once because he has been honest about every thing else. His mother is diabetic, he had access to and used a new needle. He has no medical issues that stem from things like that and we have been together 10 years and I don't either. However because of that one time, and because we share a bed, I am not aloud. I would think there should be a length of time requirement. It's been something like 17 years.
idunno.gif

The bizarre, ultra-personal questions do have a purpose. Yes, every donation gets tested, but there's always a tiny chance of a false negative. Although some of those time periods seem a little extreme, there is a lot we don't know about soem of these diseases - there are always new protocols and SOP's coming out regarding certain illnesses or blood conditions due to new research. Plus, blood centers don't want people donating just to get a free blood test. That's a huge waste of time, supplies, and money, not to mention it puts the blood-receiving population at risk.

So, it might seem ridiculous, but please don't fib
wink.png

It costs money to run the tests and take the blood. If you fib and they have to reject your blood when they could have avoided taking it and testing it, you have just wasted their time and money they don't have to spare. Certain answers to the questions may indicate certain tests are required or may explain certain test results. If you have something that is not caught in the testing, you could be putting someone else at risk. If it makes you feel better to put someone's health at risk and waste the time and money of the people and organizations taking the blood, that is your choice. I personally choose not to.

Donating blood is a good way to get a free blood test, at least for some things. I used to give blood regularly. After one donation, I received a letter saying since I had hepatitis they could not use my blood and never would be able to use my blood. It would always test positive for hepatitis so they would always throw it out. I was not aware I had hepatitis but went to my doctor, he ran tests, and confirmed I was just getting over hepatitis B. He asked if I had felt tired or noticed anything since I had not come in. I told him with a 6 month old baby, I thought I was supposed to feel tired.

Back
Top Bottom