Gonna go donate some blood. how about you?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I donated blood for the first time about 2 months ago. I was never eligible before due to overseas travel, south of the border piercing, then pregnancies and nursing. So now, I am ALL done, and am eligible to donate. I am O-, and am heading down to town today to donate blood. The first time I did it, I almost passed out, so this time, I'm eating a good big breakfast, and am drinking a lot of water. i hope that helps. I encourage all of you to go donate blood if you can. It's nice to be able to help others, and I think it burns calories to re-make that blood.. at least I hope it does! I'm bringing DD's 5 and 3 with me, and a portable dvd player and Sleeping Beauty, to keep them occupied... wish me luck!!!

thumbsup.gif

Good Luck ~ It is very important to eat and drink plenty of water before donating. The water helps the blood flow better. Also don't plan to do any heavy lifting or hard work for the rest of the day as you my be a little weak and your vein needs to heal.

I donate almost every time I am eligible. I am also O- & CMV- and the local blood bank calls me the day I am allowed to donate. Where I go it is quick, easy and nearly painless. They usually have a little "gift" such as a coupon at a restaurant as well as some snacks.

I have been donating blood for about 10 years and will continue as along as I can. It is something I can do to help save other lives that costs me nothing but a about an hour every other month.

Last edited:
I don't know what CMV- means, but I do think that donating is important. SO many people here post about people who have surgery, or are injured, or have heart attacks. It is likely that at least some of these people are using donated blood! My place doesn't have coupons, (they should!), and the cookies are gross. I might just go make a batch of my OWN cookies to bring!

chickensducks&agoose :

I don't know what CMV- means, but I do think that donating is important. SO many people here post about people who have surgery, or are injured, or have heart attacks. It is likely that at least some of these people are using donated blood! My place doesn't have coupons, (they should!), and the cookies are gross. I might just go make a batch of my OWN cookies to bring!

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus carried by more than half of the population. Most people who have the virus never know it and for the average healthy person, CMV does not cause a problem. However, for patients whose immune systems are not functioning properly(premature babies, cancer patients and others who cannot fight infection), CMV can be very serious.​

I cannot donate blood....I am one of those that periodically
receive the life-saving gift of blood.

To all those that donate....I thank you with all my heart.

Literally.

Back
Top Bottom