Good books on raising chickens for someone who doesn't read well

costello

Songster
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Hi:

I'm not sure this is the best forum for this question. Please move it if there's a better place.

I'm a librarian who has had a request from a patron. He wants a book on raising chickens, but he doesn't read well. Can someone recommend a good book on chickens written in very simple language?

Thanks.

Penguin books has a level 3 reader called backyard chickens.

Also this book is by a giant chicken hatchery but it's pretty simple and has LOTS of pictures.

One more thought, perhaps another member on here that is active with 4H might have a good suggestion!
Most of the Storey books seem pretty basic. Adults might want to read something geared to adult tastes, Storey has short simple books (which I do not care for, BTW). Except for Storey's Guide to raising chickens, By Gail Damerow. Chicken Bible, should be in every library!

Here are a few books I found that may work, if you can find them. First one is a juvi book that that gives quite a bit of info. Hopefully they won't see it as condescending. I find Juv non-fic books can have a lot of info presented w as little filler as possible, unlike many adult books. It may be possible your library has some that will work.
1027170942[1].jpg

The next 2 are adult books, but they aren't as wordy as many of the others I looked at. My daughter loves the first one, and I actually bought it for her.
1027170944[1].jpg

And the last one I found on the shelf, it has short paragraphs of info and pictures. It appears much more user friendly than some of the books that are pages and pages of words. I actually just checked this one out for myself after seeing it.
1027170945[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom