Good brown egg laying chicken

I've got to defend my West Virginia friends here just a little bit. It's not exactly Florida. If you're in the highlands region it can get pretty darn cold in WV. By my maps, the mountains of WV are in zone 5a-b. That's not Minnesota cold, but at least as cold as most of Michigan, the southern tier of New York, most of Massachusetts, and coastal Maine. That said, the advice is still right on, and being a little overcautious never hurt anyone. Also, if you're at all like my in-laws who live in remote central WV, it's not at all common to lose power for days, even up to a week several times a year. Probably not a good idea to count on a heat lamp in that kind of territory. Heck, I don't think that my grandfather in-law had electric at his place until the mid 1970s.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

You might start a new thread with the breed you want in the name or do some searching to find folks with those breeds. Phoeinx are the only ones that are familiar to me. They talk about them a bit in the Onadari? (super long tail - 15 feet) bird threads.

Cheerfulheart2---Thanks. It will be difficult to find someone in Ontario with this breed. Sometimes I wonder why I pick breeds that are rare in the area I live in. But, I will keep trying. Thank again.

I have ISA browns, it was -40'C with the windchill the other day....insulated coop, ventalation fan, and 175W ir heat lamp...

No issues
avging 25eggs for my 25 isa browns born june 1st. Best day yet has been 28 eggs in one 24 hour cycle.

Quote:
I live in WV too and I have orpingtons, australorps, dominques and so far so good with the cold weather, I can't keep them inside even when it snowed
smile.png

I know Jersey Giants take longer to mature but Ive been very impressed with their egg laying ability!
All my girls lay at least 5 eggs a week, usually 6 and at times 7.
They arent as glamorous as some but they are very dependable.
I cant really address the cold thing....of course, it did get down to 41 last night and they are all still alive!
big_smile.png

Sand Hill has Jaerhons at a very reasonable price -- their Flame Jaerhons (non-standard but still good chickens) are only $2.00 each, the standard Norwegian Jaerhons aren't much more than that. Just in case anyone really thought they were all that hard to find or all that expensive! (But they are white-egg layers, or maybe tinted.)

Kathleen

Quote:
If egg laying is your primary goal you can't go wrong with sex-links. I have two red sex-links and they have out layed all the other hens. They're a little light for dual purpose, but the two of them give us 13 large dark brown eggs a week. Their friendlier than most of the others as well. I also have Blk Australorps, buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes, production reds, barred rocks, and easter eggers. I love them all, but the sex-links are the best at feed to eggs ratio.

Quote:
I love my gentle Giants. They may take longer to reach full size for butchering, but they lay eggs at a young age. They are winter hardy- I'm talking -25 degrees last winter in an uninsulated coop. They don't look as flashy as some breeds, but what they lack in looks they make up in sheer good nature. These guys are my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom