Good Foraging Breeds

ChunkyBirb

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
What are some of the best foraging breeds of duck? I currently have 2 jumbo Perkins and 3 flying mallards (my mallards are great foragers). I would prefer that they are good egg layers as well.

My Muscovies are great foragers! So are my pekins, though they preffer to have me feed them. :p They are spoiled.
My Pekins are kinda lazy lol. Are Muscovies aggressive at all? For some reason I think I’ve heard they can be aggressive.

My Pekins are kinda lazy lol. Are Muscovies aggressive at all? For some reason I think I’ve heard they can be aggressive.
Yes, my two boys will attack anyone but me. They are pretty mean. My main solution is my roo, he keeps the drakes away from me. He is my best friend, will be sad when he's gone.
I have never had trouble with muscovies, but other people coming into the yard will complain about being attacked.

Yes, my two boys will attack anyone but me. They are pretty mean. My main solution is my roo, he keeps the drakes away from me. He is my best friend, will be sad when he's gone.
I have never had trouble with muscovies, but other people coming into the yard will complain about being attacked.
I have little nieces and nephews that frequent my house, so I don’t need them attacking toddlers:hmm

I have 3 mallards. I’m just looking for a breed that lays more eggs but has the same foraging abilities as the mallard.
I’d recommend looking into welsh harlequins! They lay a lot and a quite good foragers. Stunning birds as well(look similar to mallards) and are quite calm and friendly! The drakes have the green head like mallards. They don’t fly I am pretty sure! Here’s a pic I found online(not mine) of an adult female for reference:
91244985-DF59-4B40-9B67-E13125B983FD.jpeg

I’d recommend looking into welsh harlequins! They lay a lot and a quite good foragers. Stunning birds as well(look similar to mallards) and are quite calm and friendly! The drakes have the green head like mallards. They don’t fly I am pretty sure! Here’s a pic I found online(not mine) of an adult female for reference: View attachment 2405302
I’ve always loved how pretty Welsh Harlequins are! I had no idea they were good foragers! Those are definitely gonna be on my list.

Back
Top Bottom