Good guard animal?

Thanks for all the replies everyone, we will consider all these options, and we do have a couple of shotguns to use to kill or scare the dogs off and protect ourselves from them. It's nice to know that so many people care.Oh, I don't know if these dogs were abandoned or what, but they were definitely wild dogs. We would not harm any dogs unless they attack us or our livestock.Thanks! Merry Christmas!

This is all true but remember if there are fewer coyotes in an ecosystem, then there are more or at least enough bunnies, mice, rats, and other vermin living in that ecosystem to keep the lower number of coyotes fed.  Another predator  just doesn't magically materialize out of thin air, they will only move in if there are enough resources to keep the coyotes' faces fed.  If that seems bloodthirsty to some of you people then i apologize for offending your sense of ethics, but coyote control starts at home.   

Agreed, trapping and hunting is the really the biggest factor in protecting your animals. You reduce pressure caused by lack of food.
There is no one solve everything solution. But if you employ each solution responsibly, you can keep your animals safe.
Get a safe secure coop, get a good guard animal and a rifle to back up the animal, fencing if applicable, and then keep the predator population controlled (this also helps keep diseases down)

Guardian animals, including dogs can be expensive. With a smaller flock I suggest your front line of defense will involve something like electrified poultry netting. Getting such up and running will cost less than even one years expense for a single guardian animal that in itself may pose a risk to the very chickens it is charged to protect.

I agree, multiple strands of electric around your coop and run is your best option, as well as cheaper and more reliable than guard animals, I have three donkeys and they can be hit and miss sometimes and they require a lot of care.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, we will consider all these options, and we do have a couple of shotguns to use to kill or scare the dogs off and protect ourselves from them. It's nice to know that so many people care.Oh, I don't know if these dogs were abandoned or what, but they were definitely wild dogs. We would not harm any dogs unless they attack us or our livestock.Thanks! Merry Christmas!
If you get any guard animal be prepared they may be attacked themselves which leaves a vet bill also if these are rabbid they could spread rabbis. As I said a big flighless bird might work since they are birds they may bond with the chickens they do not need to much space for a bonus they lay eggs. Make sure to update us

When the dogs attacked, we have a large chain link fence surrounding our two chicken coops, and the dogs just opened up the gate! We did not have a lock on the gait. We have taken preventive measures against hawks,opossums, raccoon, etc. but had not been prepared for a wild dog attack. Yesterday evening we went to Lowes and bought a six foot tall chain link gait and fixed up a good strong lock for it. This and our guns should hopefully prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future. Thanks

Wild dogs are hands down the most dangerous, excepting maybe bears. They are not afraid of humans or buildings, and as a pack are very deadly. They will attack humans too, so beware.
Truely a gun, is your best option. I know it is harsh, but I am serious.
To help you, you have several options. 1 a couple good dogs
2 a donkey is said to be a very good guard animal
3. Geese can be great guard animals
all of these animals are going to need your help though, hence the gun.

A gun only works if you're there at exactly the right time, and are a good shot.

Geese are a waste of time - fox hunt geese as part of their natural prey - and even my yard dogs (which are trained to not hurt the poultry) outmaneuver the geese with ease. The only thing geese are good for is making a lot of noise to give some warning.

The real way to stop this is to fix your fencing issues. Figure out how they're getting through the chainlink, and fix it. Then add hotwires at nose level, a couple inches above the ground, and then at the top of the fence.

A gun only works if you're there at exactly the right time, and are a good shot.

Geese are a waste of time - fox hunt geese as part of their natural prey - and even my yard dogs (which are trained to not hurt the poultry) outmaneuver the geese with ease. The only thing geese are good for is making a lot of noise to give some warning.

The real way to stop this is to fix your fencing issues. Figure out how they're getting through the chainlink, and fix it. Then add hotwires at nose level, a couple inches above the ground, and then at the top of the fence.

Yes you must be home to help your animal. But the part of the point of most guard animals is to simply alert you to the problem. There is no one solution (even electric fencing has its flaws), it is best to use several layers of protection.
And correct me if I am wrong, but what this family is really interested in protecting is the kids. They do not want to loose the chickens, but the younger children are the bigger concern. The chickens draw in the predator, and so must be protected. But the children out playing are still at risk. This is when a good dog would be invaluable. You might loose the dog, but the dog would give the kids time to get away.

Yes you must be home to help your animal. But the part of the point of most guard animals is to simply alert you to the problem. There is no one solution (even electric fencing has its flaws), it is best to use several layers of protection.
And correct me if I am wrong, but what this family is really interested in protecting is the kids. They do not want to loose the chickens, but the younger children are the bigger concern. The chickens draw in the predator, and so must be protected. But the children out playing are still at risk. This is when a good dog would be invaluable. You might loose the dog, but the dog would give the kids time to get away.
You don't just need to be home - you need to be home sitting outside waiting for the predator when it shows up. You're not going to get anything positive accomplished if you have to run and get the gun and then run out and shoot something all in a huff.

Electric fences only have flaws when they're set up improperly. When set up properly, they're hugely effective against everything from skunks on up to bears. Good dogs are of course useful, but they're not as good as good fences for what you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom