Good info. from D.O.W.

Alleyoops25

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2007
Colorado
I live here in Colorado. For several weeks my chickens keep disappearing. And really late one night i finally saw that the culperate was a gruop of foxes. I called the D.O.W and asked them what I could do. And I was happy to find out that they gave me permission to kill not only them but any predator that gets at my birds. And not only did they give me full immunity, but they came out to my house and gave me a couple of live traps to use. My brother has also told me that the D.O.W has actually paid people for the losses when the couldnt solve the problem. I have had my traps aboutr four nights. And i HAve caught several cats, twice being my own. and a skunk, and one fox. The cats i let go. but my husband sent the skunk and the fox to the happy hunting grounds in the sky. So for anybody having on going predator problems, it may be worth a call to your D.O.W. I was very surprised and pleased with how much they are willing to help us protect our chickens.

That's great information to know. Knock on wood I haven't had to go to that extreme yet, but should I need to, it's always wonderful to have the information or knowledge handy. Thanks Alleyoops!
hugs.gif

I am sorry I am the ignorant one:rolleyes: It is the Division of wild life. It seems every body here are hunters, and the Division of wild life is a big topic in my town. Sorry to confuse every one. I never even thought about calling them either. I have been trying to figure out how to get rid of the foxes that have been eating all my birds and my brother was the one to suggest it. I am happy that I did, because they are doing a lot to help out with my problem. Foxes are not native to this area and Solme one ( D.O.W) set loose a bunch of them. ( still can't figure out why.) Now the number of foxes are over whelming, and they have killed out all of the wild birds like pheasants, quail, turkey, and chukar. The foxes are now moving into the suburbs and are getting into everyones birds and rabbits. What makes matters worse is they are getting so they are not shy or skittish of human or dog scents. I like foxes and think they are beautiful animals. But I am a stay at home work at home mom who also home schools my kids. And i make profit off my eggs...So I can't afford to keep feeding them my hens. But like I said the Division of Wild life ( D.O.W) will help you get rid of the predators that are eating your chickens,. I have also found that Animal control will also loan you traps, Provided you are close to city limits, and tell them that you are not sure what is eating your feathered friends. This all together is a lot cheaper and hassle free. I have also figured out the best way to set up you live traps so they work every time.

I thought I'd mention that pheasants and chukar are not native even if they are "wild" and roaming free in Colorado. They were/are introduced by people that want to hunt them. Pheasants and chukar are from Asia, and so even though the foxes are eating them, you have to decide whether or not to get upset about it. Quail and turkeys are native animals.

Good job getting help with your nuisance animals! It is always nice to read that someone contacted the proper people, got help, and was successful in protecting their flock.

-MTchick

Quote:
They don't have the authority to give you full immunity. You're subject to the federal laws to the full extent, and there is absolutely noting DOW can do to change that. Furthermore, you're subject to the full extent of state laws, and DOW does not have the authority to change that either.

I'm glad you had a nice time with them, but you don't have the blanket permission to do as you wish that you think you have. Since Colorado has played games in the past with setting up people in the wildlife control business, I'd be very leery of their helpfullness.

That is to bad that you don't seem to trust them Foxtrapper and maybe in you neck of the woods you shouldnt. No I can't shoot a bald eagle out of my back yard. THat is a protected species. But for skunks, Foxes, and coyotes I have full permission of disposing of them. I even asked the Lady who came out to deliver the traps if I needed to call her if and when I caught somthing so she could take it else where . She told me that we didnt need to call her and that it would do know good to try to relocate them because they are used to getting their food from humans and will just set up again near somebody elses farm and do the same thing. She gave us exact instructions on how to kill in a way that they wont suffer. Do to the fact she has written out these insturctions and then made out a contract for the use of the trap ( making sure I aint gonna make off thier trap when I am through with it) Both have her signature on it. So by no means am I really leery when i catch them , we just follow our instructions. They also give tags for deer here out of season becuase they get into the farmers croops and hurt our local economy. And our local fuirt farmers have really tall fences put around them to also keep the deer out piad for by the Division of wild life .I dont have a problem like that as I only have my birds. But yes If you do have a problem like this you can get help from the Division of wild life. That is a branch of state government that manages wild life issues. Oh and I did know that pheasants and chuckars where also introduced. But by gooly they didnt eat my best hens!!!
smile.png
I know that people have had issues with the D.O.W . I myself have had negative thoughts about them as far as they have handled conservation issues. But I am a lot safer with thier knowledge and permission in these kinds of situations then just taking things into my own hands and blowing them all to bits with out thier consent. Anyway Fox trapper Thank you for your concern but I do incourage every one to first ask for help in these issues, their are laws that gives people the right to protect what is thiers.

Back
Top Bottom