Good Morning!

MindfullLee

Chirping
Dec 27, 2019
Massachusetts
Just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Lee :) After about 3 years of trying to convince my husband that chickens would be a good idea, he finally relented, more likely tired of listening to me (whatever works lol) Im an avid gardener and novice canner, trying to lean towards as much sustainability as possible.

got a great book for Christmas and now in the process of researching on how to submit a permit before I seriously dive in.

Happy New year :)

:welcome Welcome to BYC! What breed of chickens do you have/ are you going to get? How many do you plan on getting?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Well, my youngest daughter wants a silkie :) I was thinking a couple of buff orpington, easter eggers. Haven't got really far into breeds cause I want to make sure I don't have to sell my soul for a permit LOL Im planning on 5. But the coop I want will hold up to 10 in case I become a crazy chicken lady.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You certainly have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Definitely stop by our Learning Center for all kinds of good reads from building the coop to raising the birds.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

And of course ask as many questions as you need. Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our community! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You certainly have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! Definitely stop by our Learning Center for all kinds of good reads from building the coop to raising the birds.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

And of course ask as many questions as you need. Enjoy this new adventure and welcome to our community! :)

I appreciate the Welcome!! Thank you for the links. I will absolutely use them. I will have a bazillion questions lol

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Well, my youngest daughter wants a silkie :) I was thinking a couple of buff orpington, easter eggers. Haven't got really far into breeds cause I want to make sure I don't have to sell my soul for a permit LOL Im planning on 5. But the coop I want will hold up to 10 in case I become a crazy chicken lady.
Easter eggers and buff Orpingtons are a great choice, they are the birds with the best temperment in my opinion. Have fun and good luck!

Hi Lee and welcome to BYC. You may enjoy this thread - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/canning-and-home-preserving.1343016/

Here are some links to useful resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Last edited:
Just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Lee :) After about 3 years of trying to convince my husband that chickens would be a good idea, he finally relented, more likely tired of listening to me (whatever works lol) Im an avid gardener and novice canner, trying to lean towards as much sustainability as possible.

got a great book for Christmas and now in the process of researching on how to submit a permit before I seriously dive in.

Happy New year :)

Hello and Welcome.
Are you wanting to start raising chickens for the eggs mostly or just for fun? I do it for fun and have always preferred bantams. Still get eggs but small ones.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :frow:welcome
53635D52-B754-4325-A9FB-CB000B8546AD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom