Good mother hen breeds

Caramelle

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Hello everyone!

My 2nd post, I'm on a roll now lol!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in using "broody breeds" to nest on eggs as opposed to using incubators? My husband is allergic to animals with fur so when we were considering pets (have a 4 year old daughter too) we came across an organisation that "rescues" battery hens. Well! Long story short we took on 3 rather scraggy looking girls and now, 4/5 months down the line we have become total chicken addicts - haha!! :)

So back to the reason for my post (lol): We are moving shortly to a place with a huuuuge outdoor area and we are of course looking at all the glorious chicken keeping possibilities! We've decided that we'd really like to set things up so that we can keep some exciting ornamental breeds in addition to our ex-batt ladies which we will be continuing with. So anyhow, I'd really like to try producing chicks via a mother hen. So was wondering if you guys had any experience with good breeds for this purpose, things to think about and such like? Also, which times of year do you all hatch eggs? We do get some pretty fierce winters over here.

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!!! :)

Silkies are like animal incubators, they go broody a lot, and you can use them to hatch other less broody chicken's eggs

Last edited:
My buff orpington is hatching my duck eggs right now and she has been great!! so far out of 15 eggs she has hatched 9 healthy babies, 1 was born early and died and just this morning I went out and found 1 had died overnight right after hatching but she has been such a GREAT Mommy!!

I've always had good results with Silkies
smile.png

Three of our four Coucous de France have been going broody on a regular basis this year; one sets off another then the third. They're good mothers too, very protective and aware of any other hens, roosters - or our cats - coming into view. The fourth couldn't care less: she hasn't gone broody so we've no idea of her abilities. Only one of our eight Sussex has been broody this year, just as well they lay well.

I have a wonderful 7 month old OEGB hen who went broody when she laid her first egg and now has a almost week old chick and is still sitting on a reg size egg that should hatch within the next 5 days or so. Smore's is a wonderful momma

Awwww so cute!

Thanks for all your lovely answers guys!!! What time of year do you guys hatch eggs? Any time of year or based on season? Would be too cold here, I imagine, as we get harsh winters. I'm hoping maybe early spring though!

Back
Top Bottom