Cheetah Chicks

Chirping
May 28, 2022
I had a black sex link hen, she died of heart attack due to a fox attack. I cried a lot :( Anyhow i decided to incubate her egg to have her memory. So i took her eggs out of the fridge which was kept for few days and kept in hay ,turning every day for 2 weeks .When i got my incubation machine, put it inside and the egg hatched on 21 day. I knew in less than a week, from that chick behaviour that she is a hen. As i know my chickens behaviour and traits very well. She is now 4 months ,not yet laying.

Puzzling question : Is she a new breed. Because her parents were both black sex link. And she was born yellow and now off white colour with a beautiful dotted neck like bald eagle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_154123_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_154123_Gallery.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20230722_154328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_154328_Gallery.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230722_154243_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_154243_Gallery.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230722_154239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_154239_Gallery.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230722_154232_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_154232_Gallery.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230722_154228_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_154228_Gallery.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 13
I had a black sex link hen, she died of heart attack due to a fox attack. I cried a lot :( Anyhow i decided to incubate her egg to have her memory. So i took her eggs out of the fridge which was kept for few days and kept in hay ,turning every day for 2 weeks .When i got my incubation machine, put it inside and the egg hatched on 21 day. I knew in less than a week, from that chick behaviour that she is a hen. As i know my chickens behaviour and traits very well. She is now 4 months ,not yet laying.

Puzzling question : Is she a new breed. Because her parents were both black sex link. And she was born yellow and now off white colour with a beautiful dotted neck like bald eagle.
Sorry for your loss! :hugs

No, to create a new breed it MUST breed true in future generations. She would be considered a barnyard or backyard cross. She's lovely, what's her name? Congrats on hatching her! :love

I don't think Delaware are part of any black sex link crosses..BSL are usually done with barred hens under solid colored NON white cocks.

Red sex links often use Delaware hens as part of the cross (or other silver based colors like Colombian Wyandotte, light Sussex, etc).. which is what her pattern looks *similar* to. The spotting being more Delaware-ish (I think).. but possibly just caused by a combination of genes.

In fact a black sex link rooster should be barred ( & look similar to barred Rock) and so should all his offspring be barred. Are you sure about the parentage or the parents heritage? Maybe the egg you sat wasn't hers or the sire isn't who you think.. or she or the sire aren't the breeds you think they were??

I could be totally wrong.. genetics are complex and interesting.. and I'm just an enthusiast with too little brain power to keep all the details 100% straight.. but having fun trying! :pop

Sorry for your loss! :hugs

No, to create a new breed it MUST breed true in future generations. She would be considered a barnyard or backyard cross. She's lovely, what's her name? Congrats on hatching her! :love

I don't think Delaware are part of any black sex link crosses..BSL are usually done with barred hens under solid colored NON white cocks.

Red sex links often use Delaware hens as part of the cross (or other silver based colors like Colombian Wyandotte, light Sussex, etc).. which is what her pattern looks *similar* to. The spotting being more Delaware-ish (I think).. but possibly just caused by a combination of genes.

In fact a black sex link rooster should be barred ( & look similar to barred Rock) and so should all his offspring be barred. Are you sure about the parentage or the parents heritage? Maybe the egg you sat wasn't hers or the sire isn't who you think.. or she or the sire aren't the breeds you think they were??

I could be totally wrong.. genetics are complex and interesting.. and I'm just an enthusiast with too little brain power to keep all the details 100% straight.. but having fun trying! :pop
I only had two hens at that time. Black sex link give brown eggs and i am sure it belonged to the deceased hen . And i have just took a snap of his father.

In her behaviour she is exactly like her father. Calm, philosophical, and love to sleep.

Btw, i live in London, England.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_163134_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_163134_Gallery.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 10
When they were 5 days old. The yellow one is her, name as Wafa.
View attachment 3585119
The chick on Wafa's left (she hatched on 20th day- she became golden Groninger Meuween) and infront of that one are pure breeds, with more white stripes on his back became a handsome silver deathlayer . Parents are Groninger Meuween and Deathlayer. .

Not a new breed, just a mix.

Black Sexlinks are a hybrid (a cross of two different breeds). Because they are mixes, their chicks do not always look like themselves.

Black Sexlinks are often from a Rhode Island Red rooster with a barred Rock hen.

When Black Sexlinks are bred to each other, some chicks can have the Columbian color pattern (from the Rhode Island Red ancestor) with silver (from the Barred Rock side), with or without white barring (this one got the white barring).

That is almost exactly how the Delaware breed was created, although I think Delawares came from Barred Rocks and New Hampshires (rather than Rhode Island Reds.)

OP's chick is not an actual Delaware, but if someone wanted to re-create the Delaware breed it would be a good starting point.

In fact a black sex link rooster should be barred ( & look similar to barred Rock) and so should all his offspring be barred.
Yes, a Black Sexlink rooster should be barred (which he is, in the photo posted later.) No, not all of his offspring would be barred. Only about half of them.

And OP's pullet is barred (white stripes across whatever other colors are on the feathers.)

Are you sure about the parentage or the parents heritage? Maybe the egg you sat wasn't hers or the sire isn't who you think.. or she or the sire aren't the breeds you think they were??
OP is probably correct about the parents. It makes perfect genetic sense, if both parents were Black Sexlinks from a hatchery crossing red roosters (Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) with Barred Rock hens.

Breeding two such Black Sexlinks should give about 3/4 black chicks (some with white barring and some without), 1/8 chicks like the one pictured (with or without white barring), and 1/8 red chicks (like RIR or NH, but some with white barring and some without.)

Last edited:

Black Sexlinks are a hybrid (a cross of two different breeds). Because they are mixes, their chicks do not always look like themselves.

Black Sexlinks are often from a Rhode Island Red rooster with a barred Rock hen.

When Black Sexlinks are bred to each other, some chicks can have the Columbian color pattern (from the Rhode Island Red ancestor) with silver (from the Barred Rock side), with or without white barring (this one got the white barring).

That is almost exactly how the Delaware breed was created, although I think Delawares came from Barred Rocks and New Hampshires (rather than Rhode Island Reds.)

OP's chick is not an actual Delaware, but if someone wanted to re-create the Delaware breed it would be a good starting point.

Yes, a Black Sexlink rooster should be barred (which he is, in the photo posted later.) No, not all of his offspring would be barred. Only about half of them.

And OP's pullet is barred (white stripes across whatever other colors are on the feathers.)

OP is probably correct about the parents. It makes perfect genetic sense, if both parents were Black Sexlinks from a hatchery crossing red roosters (Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) with Barred Rock hens.

Breeding two such Black Sexlinks should give about 3/4 black chicks (some with white barring and some without), 1/8 chicks like the one pictured (with or without white barring), and 1/8 red chicks (like RIR or NH, but some with white barring and some without.)
Thank you so much. Yes, i googled Delaware ,she looks exactly like that. So,i assume there is only 25 percent chance of having a delaware styled chicken if two black sexlinks are bred?

Also ,if you could see another picture, where she was yellow with big head. is this how Delaware chicks hatch ?

Back
Top Bottom