Good news. the new serama is walking!

MarlaKaye

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
The baby serama born 3 days ago IS WALKING!!!!
She was so weak and we didn't know if she would make it. Actually I have been weak at the same time and don't believe I have given it the care I could have.

Try as she might to stand up, her little legs just splayed straight out. With hindsight I realize she was in the egg much too long. This was the strangest hatch yet.

Yes, of course I used paper towels instead of newspaper. And good clean sanitary ones at that. No spreading germs around my babies allowed. I that paper towel touched anything as it was being unrolled, (other than my gloved hands) it went into a pile to use for something else and the next one would be the one to touch my newborns.

Well, since she couldn't get her feet under her on the paper towels, DH started looking for something else. I told him it couldn't be any sort of unnatural material, because I had read about the fellow blogger who had decided not to use rubber shelf liner because her chick stopped eating, due to dyes in it.

So finally he comes up with something. My very best placemat! Well what is a mother to do? It is woven of pure cotton threads in a pretty design with lots of little nubbins in it, and places where the threads make texture. He promises me it will wash out. I'm not expecting that, but determine the babies life is worth more than the placemat. So what is a baby chicks life worth? About 3$. Well we all know it is worth more than that after we have hatched them from an incubator and fought for thier little life with every pip from inside the shell, and as they kick thier way out and we rejoice. So tell me, what is that babies life worth? Remember this will break up the whole set of placemats.
wink.png

You already know this is going to come out well from the title, so I will tell you she is walking today with both feet under her, and standing UP! You bet her life is worth giving up that set of placemats!

Since then I have discovered some other fabrics that will do the job as well or better. Today she had her portrait done. DH is calling me to come see the results. So I will bring you all a photo of her as soon as I get one.
More news to come,
Keep your hearts pulling for the little Serama with curled toes. One week old now, and I have decided to go back to my tape boots after hearing from .....oh no, I forgot the name of the writer. WEll anyway she said she used bandaids on top and bottom. Well I had tried that too, and thought it was working. I'm going to give it another chance.
God Bless
MarlaKaye
run run, no time to spell check

I use old flannel sheets cut up to fit the brooder. I also have some old towels with hardly any nap left that work really well. I've never had problem with spraddle leg using the sheets and towels. I also think it's warmer for them to sleep on for the first week or so until they can be on regular bedding.

Of course the baby serama is worth the whole set of placemats!
What a wonderful job you are doing.
Best of luck to the little one.
clap.gif

Post pics as soon as you can!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom