Good tips that you use to keep chickens cool in the summer when it is 100°

Screenshot_20220612-085513_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220612-085556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Another BYC'er in the Lone Star State. I have a broody hen now, in the barn coop. One day everyone will be in the cooler, outside coop.:rolleyes: Fan on broody, synthetic ice packs (tucked inside little pockets that I made from t-shirt material) placed next to her, wet hand towels placed on the roost she's laying against. AM/PM "assisted excursions" to the shade and watered-down dirt, and to eat/drink.

My 8 y.o. Dominique hen stays in the shady sand underneath the outside coop, resting. I make sure she has moist sand. A shady hedge and complete barn access helps but it was 81F in the barn at 8:30 am today.

Deep shade and moist dirt are the lifesavers for my girls so far. Also, unless essential, I don't bother them during the day--the less intervention and 'fussing', the better.

Deep shade and moist dirt are the lifesavers for my girls so far. Also, unless essential, I don't bother them during the day--the less intervention and 'fussing', the better.

Yes. I also refrain from disturbing them during the hottest part of the day -- even for treats. I want them resting in their cool "foxholes" that they've dug into the shady dirt instead of running around in the sun.

More shade! Remember that the shade shifts with the sun, maybe put something on the west side of the run so it's shaded in the hottest part of the day. If it's not humid, misters or hose down the run to dampen the earth. Pools are great if your hens use it, mine won't. Fans can be useful if you can run a cord out there. Good luck, we are getting some very hot days here too.

Back
Top Bottom