Good Treats for Pet Rats?

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
Hi guys
big_smile.png
I don't know if you remember my old post but i recently got a lil Rat about 2 or 3 months ago
wink.png
She is young still so is crazy as ever
roll.png
but starting to mellow out a little bit more BUT she will NOT take anything from our hands
idunno.gif
I don't know what her deal is lol we have tried crackers, seeds, anything i can think of! Why do you guys think this is? Does she just not like us?
tongue.png
And what is an irresistible treat for them?

Thanks all you rat owners
smile.png

Oh, and PS: She chews on the bars of her cage allll night so loud that i have to wear earplugs, is there like, something i can spray on em so she wont like how they taste? She has plenty of toys to keep her busy and stuff to chew on.....

Thanks
frow.gif

When I had rats I fed them those Yogurt drop treats for hamsters or rabbits from the petstore as well as any kind of fruit or vegetable that isnt citrus (It can cause cancer, no idea why). Also a fun game for them is to stick some thawed peas in a bowl of water and let them fish for the peas. Just make sure the rats dont get chilled.

ETA: You also might wanna get her a buddy or 2. Rats live healthier longer lives with company.

Last edited:
Besides standard rat food, I give mine just about anything I am eating including pizza, pasta, fruits/veggies, you name it! Cheese, yogurt, and cereals are good too. I think getting a second female will make her a happier girl. Please make sure you have 2 GIRLS or soon you'll have a whole bunch of friends for her..LOL! Mine are almost 4 years old and have been together their whole lives.

Okay sounds good guys (not you though PC xD!!!!!!!!!!!)

And i knowwww i really wanna get her a friend.....but my parents wont let me cause they think itll be twice as hard to take care of them....

Actually rats arent that hard to take care of unless you have around 5 or more. Just if your parents let you get one or 2 make sure you introduce them in an area that is unfamiliar to all of them and that the knew rat/s are either slightly smaller or younger than the one you have now so she doesnt feel as threatened. When I got my older dumbo some friends they were rescued from a feeder bin and had barely opened their eyes a few days before. It was so funny to watch my virgin rat take care of them. She wouldnt even let them out of the igloo
tongue.png
They would go out and she would drag them right back in. Talk about paranoid lol... sigh, I really miss her, dumbos are the best rats there are. RIP Sophie

LOL idk PC, i think the silkie would kill the rat.....but you never knowwwww
tongue.png

Raisins, apples, carrots, uncooked oatmeal, any dried fruits. Never avocados, lettuce. Also, a 1/2 thick piece of an apple tree branch is always appreciated1

We go to walmart and buy the rat/mouse blocks.....helps them file teeth down. Yogies are AWESOME and they LOVE them. Also they have an apple tree branch stuck in between the wire cages for them to gnaw on. Apples, carrots, lettuce, popcorn, hamster food, the crunchie things out of guinea pig food, chinese food, crab Rangoons, pizza.....pretty much anything they want through the bars of their cages they can have.

We have 2 females- Bonsai and French Fry....they are insane LOL
We have ONE BIG MALE- Mullet...hes a teddy bear though=]

Bonsai got her name because she is so hyper, French Fry got her name because when I got her I was eating french fries and she ate one too....and Mullet got his name because the african americans always to go the local state park and fish for MULLET....and Mullet is black colored...

Back
Top Bottom